ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

isolating audio tracks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mehol guthrieisolating audio tracks
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:38:54 pm

Good day. I am hoping someone can assist me with an audio import complication I am having. I have 4 tracks of audio attached to green screen video I shot on a Panasonic HVX 200. I am using AE to key and render an alpha channel of this footage. I only want to use 2 of the audio tracks. When I import the footage into AE, all four tracks are imported. Is there a way to isolate only two of the tracks and mute or delete the other two. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: isolating audio tracks
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 7:16:19 pm

This is puzzling on a couple of counts.

If you're simply pulling a key, why do you need audio AT ALL? It's a very simple matter to sync the video to the audio in your NLE.

But what's even more puzzling is that you want to create an alpha channel. Why not do the entire shot, chroma key subject AND background, in AE? You have so much more control over the look of the completed shot that way.

Now, if your goal is to simply create the "weather man over the weather map" kind of look, I suppose you're going about it the right way. But if you want to make sure the colors match, you want to easily identify bad edges, you want to make the subject look more a part of the shot with light wrap and faked shadows, you're really doing yourself a disservice by simply pulling a key to make an alpha channel.

And don't give some lame excuse like, "Well, by doing it this way, I have the option to change backgrounds." You'll have to decide on a background sometime, and you're a lot better off making the decision now when you can make the shot look really good.

But to answer your question, isolate the audio in your NLE. Export an aiff or wav file. Use it with the video in AE. Really simple.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: isolating audio tracks
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 10:12:48 pm

I agree completely with Dave on all counts.
Is there a reason you wouldn't do all of your compositing in AE since that's what it's for?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved