ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

color management

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnsabbath d'urzocolor management
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:02:52 pm

i have been working with AE 5.5 for many years. Now I recently moved into AE CS3. I am going through a book called After Effects Professional Cs3 by mark christiansen. The first chapter is heavy with color management. Just wondering if all this is crucial and what are the best workflows if this is needed? I am going to start a freelance job in the next week or so and just going through this book to enhance my skills. If i don't use color management would this be wrong of me? most of the stuff that I am going to be designing in AE is going into an Avid and mastered from there.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: color management
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 4:24:49 pm

If you don't use color management, then you're essentially rolling the dice and just hoping that your colors are consistent across your various output types and that you're using assets with the colors that the creators intended. For some work, you may decide that your results are good enough to not bother using color management. I wouldn't make that decision, but it is a somewhat common one.

There's an overview of color management here. The second section on that page explains why you might want to use color management.

It's not hard, actually. People end up making it far more complicated than it actually is by overthinking it. There are step-by-step examples for several kinds of media and output types in this document.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

johnsabbath d'urzoRe: color management
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:13:58 pm

Just did a test and rendered (photo jpeg QT) from AE with and without color management for a 1920x1080 clip. Imported them into Final Cut Pro and I am previewing on a SD Broadcast monitor. I am comparing the original clip, the rendered clip from AE (no color management) and the render from AE (with color management) all these clips look the same in on my broadcast monitor through Final Cut. I have read the links and have a question. Does color management in AE only effect the colors of your footage the way you see them on the computer monitor and does not effects the render output when you are going into an video editing application, this is what I am getting. Is this correct? I normally do all my color corrections in Final Cut Pro before I go into after effects. Do I use color management only if I am doing color correction in AE? I am view my AE projects on a broadcast SD monitor through a AJA Kona Card and the color does not change there when I use color management, it only changes on the computer screen. Please help and thank you for everything so far.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2010 at 5:39:30 pm

> Does color management in AE only effect the colors of your footage the way you see them on the computer monitor and does not effects the render output when you are going into an video editing application, this is what I am getting. Is this correct?

Assigning an output color profile changes the R, G, and B color values of the pixels that are rendered for output. Therefore, this affects the appearance of the image when used in any context.

Please read through the materials that I linked to. Since I wrote those, any answers that I give are just going to be quoting from those documents, anyway.

> Do I use color management only if I am doing color correction in AE?

You use color management any time that you want to maintain consistent color across various input media and output media. This is not specific to color correction.

Just to head off a somehwat common confusion: Color management and color correction don't have much to do with each other. You don't use color management to achieve artistic looks. Color management is for the boring but highly useful purpose of making sure that your images look the same as you intended across various outputs---and to make sure that you're using input colors the way that the creator of the input assets intended.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:06:27 pm

What do you mean by assigning and output profile is this the "color management settings" ? also what do you mean about output media I normally dont output for DVD or Flash using AE? Thanks you are really helping me out a lot. Is there a diagram of different color management skill to use for various inputs and out puts so I can take with me fro my freelance job?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2010 at 6:39:00 pm

> What do you mean by assigning and output profile is this the "color management settings" ?

The output color profile tells After Effects what sort of device/format the output file is intended for, which determines how the color values are transformed to ensure consistent appearance. This is explained in "Assign an output color profile".

> Is there a diagram of different color management skill to use for various inputs and out puts

There are diagrams and illustrations in this document that I pointed to and asked you to read. That document gives step-by-step instructions for several workflows, including a Flash animation workflow.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2010 at 7:51:43 pm

The test that I did earlier I did not set the render for the output color. So I will do this again and get back to you with results that I find. Just wondering if the project and the time line has a mix of HD and SD Footage, how would I set that up?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: color management
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 10:14:46 pm

Read the documents at the links that Todd posted for you earlier. You will find the answers to most, if not all, of your questions there.
Also you will learn many other things that will be useful to you later on, especially if you end up with a big client that cares about their logo/color, etc.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]