ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Mercury Jones Credit role?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Jaeger
Mercury Jones Credit role?
on Jan 6, 2010 at 11:05:45 am

Hey all!

I'm making a credit role but can't locate the Mercury Jones Preset. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Mercury Jones Credit role?
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:23:24 pm

You could contact Mercury Jones -- the site is still there, but with no presets, apparently.

Have you Googled "credit roll" and "after effects"? Maybe add "flicker free"?
also:
http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=12708

By the way, did you know that a credit roll should move at at multiple of the frame rate? For 24fps, it should move at 24 pixels per second, or 48, 72 and so on.

Return to posts index

Patrick Jaeger
on Jan 6, 2010 at 12:38:59 pm

Ok cool I will give it a try.

Wow I didnt know that, ill have to try it. Is there a way to measure how many pixels per second?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:53:16 pm

Well, if all else fails, you could do a little arithmetic to figure it out. You know, divide the amount of change in the y position by the number of frames in the roll. Done.

It gets stickier if you have to work in 29.97, which just about everyone in NTSC-Land eventually has to do. I sidestep the issue by doing rolls at 30 fps, reimporting, and conforming the footage to 29.97. I'm lazy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Jan 6, 2010 at 4:15:09 pm

Does the Autoscroll-Vertical animation preset help? There's information in the "Best practices for creating text and vector graphics for video" section about vertical scrolling speed for credit rolls.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRonde
Re: Mercury Jones Credit ROLL (jeez, spell it right!)
on Jan 6, 2010 at 7:52:14 pm

.....and, from the creator of the Mercury Jones preset, Mr. Kevin Camp himself, here is the expression he wrote that supersedes good ol' Mercury Jones:

rate = 2; //value in px/sec.
if (marker.numKeys > 0){
if (time > marker.key(1).time){
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-marker.key(1).time)];
}else{
value;
}
}else{
value - [0,rate*timeToFrames(time-inPoint)];
}

just position the roll where you want it to start and it will march up the screen at the rate that you set. You should assign even-number values to the rate variable if you are rendering to an interlaced format, and if you set the rate too high the roll will appear kind of strobe-like.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Patrick Jaeger
on Jan 7, 2010 at 12:53:58 pm

Thanks guys! It worked well with minimal stuttering!

Return to posts index

Marco Pirletti
on Dec 12, 2012 at 4:04:18 pm

Hey Dave!

I'm trying to use this expression with a "right to left" scrolling text on the bottom of my composition.

Any idea on how to change it from a vertical scroll?

Thanks in advance
.marco.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]