ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Clips freeze after 7-10 seconds

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan MoyerClips freeze after 7-10 seconds
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 4:15:13 am

It seems like most of the clips I work on, even if they're just text or animation presets already included in AE/Bridge, will freeze after about the 7-10 second mark.

It's not a rendering thing, as that section of the video shows that it is rendered. Also even if I render the video through the render queue the output freezes at the same section.

I'm running windows, q9400 processor, 4gb ram, 8800gt graphics card.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Clips freeze after 7-10 seconds
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 4:35:50 am

Do you have multiprocessing turned on in your preferences? If so, turn it off; you don\\\'t have enough RAM for it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan MoyerRe: Clips freeze after 7-10 seconds
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 7:22:07 am

No, it is turned off.

However, my ram usage isn't adding up. It says I have 3.25gb installed, with 0.5gb left for other applications, but has total After Effects memory usage listed at only 1.2gb.

The Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously box is unchecked.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:15:35 pm

What version of Windows are you running?
What version of AE are you running?
Do you have the latest updates to AE?
Do you have the latest driver for your graphics card?
Do you have any OpenGL settings on such as rendering with the OpenGL renderer?

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:46:45 am

What version of Windows are you running?
Windows XP

What version of AE are you running?
CS4 9.0.0.346

Do you have the latest driver for your graphics card?
Yes

Do you have any OpenGL settings on such as rendering with the OpenGL renderer?
I didn't change any of the original settings in regards to this, but when I go to preferences -> preview the enable opengl checkbox is checked, as are the two checkboxes beneath it.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Clips freeze after 7-10 seconds
by on Jan 6, 2010 at 3:35:43 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "Also even if I render the video through the render queue the output freezes at the same section. "

This leads me to suspect three things:
1) you rendered a high-quality file from AE, which is good
2) you're looking at this on a simple media viewer
3) the file is playing back on a single hard drive, not something like a RAID

If all that's true, then don't sweat it, the animations are probably fine. You hard drive simply can't keep up with the high bitrate of a high-quality file. To reassure yourself that all is okay, use something like Adobe Media Encoder to convert one of those files to an mp4 or an h.264. Even though you don't want to make such files in AE, they're more highly-compressed, so you should get smooth playback.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 8, 2010 at 2:04:05 pm

1) yay!
2) It was a simple media player, but when I imported it to Vegas it was doing the same thing.
3) Unfortunately yes, this is on a single drive. I've never had problems with Vegas working off a single drive but I guess that's not true of AE and I'll need to set up Raid or an SSD?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Clips freeze after 7-10 seconds
by on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:44:45 pm

[Ryan Moyer] "3) Unfortunately yes, this is on a single drive. I've never had problems with Vegas working off a single drive but I guess that's not true of AE and I'll need to set up Raid or an SSD?"

My guess is no. It's a guess because I don't really know the details about Vegas. But if it woks like most NLE's, then it will render the high-quality footage to the codec you use in your edit timeline.

Alternately, you could simply render out of AE in the cidec used in your edit timeline. Either is okay.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:42:11 pm

Good info here, but I'm still a bit confused as to what action I need to actually take to fix my problem...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:59:03 pm

Are you saying AE freezes at the 7-10 second mark during rendering in the render queue AND when playing back RAM previews?
What elements do you have in your comp?
What happens if you move the work area to render from the ten second point on?
Does this happen in all comps in all projects?

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2010 at 12:32:38 am

Yes, in the render queue and when playing back via a ram preview, or even a regular preview.

If I move the work area past the freeze point all I get is the frozen part. When I said 7-10 seconds I didn't mean between the 7 and 10 second mark it is frozen and it works fine everywhere else, I meant that at some point (usually around 7, 8, 9, or 10 seconds but not always necessarily within that range) it freezes and remains frozen from that point until the end of the comp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]