Cool intro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mattias Molen
Cool intro
on Jan 5, 2010 at 9:46:31 am

Hi people,

I wan't to make a cool movie intro like this:

And I mean the part where the characters are introduced.

I don't think there will be a tutorial for this and that's cool because I want to find out myself.

Therefore I need more examples and I can't come up with any.

Can you guys help me out. Maybe some MTV programs using this style. I know there are some movies with the same intro...

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Cool intro
on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:38:19 pm

The character intros can be done very simply; three shape layers (or solids), a text layer, some lights and a camera (maybe).

Let's take Crane's intro as an example:
Outline of Crane (1 solid/shape layer)
Yellow beam(s) of color (1 solid/shape layer)
Red background (1 solid/shape layer)
Text layer (probably created in Illustrator, but can be done in AE)
That's it.

The layers are set as 3d layers with a light or two.
Then there's a subtle position animation on the layers (possibly camera instead) and the text is either scaled down or moved back in z-space quickly. Motion blur turned on.

I believe there's a drop shadow on the text not just a cast shadow from the lights, but it's hard to tell on my iPhone's screen. There is probably some nice texture and stuff added in too, but again; I can't really see it on YouTube. It's all fairly basic stuff though.f

If you don't know how to do some of what I said, please read through your AE manual (it's really helpful), check out the tutorials here at the COW and check out the basics at VideoCopilot.net.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:32:00 pm

Thanks,

I see what you mean. And I think your technique works. What I forgot to say is that I'm using real videofootage. So no cartoon. The idea stays the same though.

My idea is this: I filmed three man. Each of them will be introduced in the beginning of the film. De first man walks towards the camera. Then I'll take a still en use your technique. Just key out the person and create a cool background or use the existing background and cartonize it.

I've seen this technique a few times but I can't remember in which movie.

It would help if I have an example from a movie because I only have this cartoon.

Return to posts index

Mattias Molen
on Jan 6, 2010 at 9:10:15 am

Yeah,

I think I found it. It's the intro from Snatch:

I'll make a mix between these two techniques.

I'll post it when it's ready...

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 6, 2010 at 2:21:10 pm

You don't need to "key" the person out; it's a still picture. Unless you filmed them on a chroma screen it'd be easier to just trace them with a mask. (Also known as rotoscoping). Heck, even if you did shoot them on a chroma screen, considering the style you're going for, using a mask will still be the better option.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]