ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keying, alpha and transparency

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc SmithKeying, alpha and transparency
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:27:41 am

Is there a way to render out a video where I've keyed out my greenscreen and garbage matte? All I want is the subject on a transparent background to wrk with at a later time in Sony Vegas Pro.

I've tried rendering MOV with RGB+Alpha as well as AVI/RGB+Alpha, but when I bring the video into Vegas, my subject is just against a black background and no combination of the tools in Vegas Pro is giving me what I want.

I'd key in Vegas, but it leaves a bit to be desired, keying in AE is much better.

Any advice?

- Marc

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Keying, alpha and transparency
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:31:36 am

I'm not a Vegas user, but I can tell you that you usually need to tell your NLE to interpret the alpha channel appropriately to make sure that it's used as transparency.

Also, make sure that you're using a codec within your QuickTIme or AVI container that can encode an alpha channel.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Marc SmithRe: Keying, alpha and transparency
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:43:50 pm

I've managed to export the clip as a PNG images sequence which I can get to work, but MOV or AVI using RGB+Alpha doesn't getthe desired results.

I'll post this over in the Vegas Forum as well. Thanks for the help!

- Marc

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Keying, alpha and transparency
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 4:36:24 pm

It depends on Vegas. You might need two output modules: one for RGB, one for alpha. Then you might matte them together in Vegas.

(I don't use Vegas)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved