ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Mask Feather wont feather, just expands a hard edge.. how do I correct?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt hudson
After Effects Mask Feather wont feather, just expands a hard edge.. how do I correct?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:08:38 pm

For some reason the last few times I tried to feather the edges on a mask in after effects it expands the hard edge instead of feathering the edge... sort of like a matte choker or simple choker... did I mess something up in my settings or is there something im doing wrong?

Here it is before applying feathered edge

ex3

and here is the feathered edge at 25

ex2

And my mask settings....

ex1

If you can help me then you are awesome!!! THANKS!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: After Effects Mask Feather wont feather, just expands a hard edge.. how do I correct?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:13:51 pm

Tell us about the effects on the layer. Got screencap?

Return to posts index

kurt hudson
Re: After Effects Mask Feather wont feather, just expands a hard edge.. how do I correct?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:19:57 pm

I have colorama and motion tile applied to the layer that im trying to feather the mask on. the composite/transfer mode is on darken as well.. but this problem has happened before on footage that was just keyed out with keylight, i would try to soften the edges of the mask and it would just give me a wicked hard edge...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:26:35 pm

How about a workaround? How about putting the feathered mask on a solid, then using it as a track matte?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:43:09 pm

Hmm ... the Darken mode may be the problem. The feather will create shades of gray, and the underlying image is mostly black. Might changing the mode help?

Return to posts index

kurt hudson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:00:23 pm

Welll... removing the darken didnt help, it still did the same thing

Also...

I tried using the solid as a track matte and couldnt get it to work.. so instead I put 2 white solids and feathered the edges on them creating this

Photobucket

It looks the way I wanted but will not work for the way I planned on animating my comp... any other suggestions? Does anyone know why it wont feather?

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:07:02 pm

Is the palm tree image a 1-bit image? (guessing)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:11:49 pm

Colorama effects alpha. Try using some other form of coloring.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

kurt hudson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:23:40 pm

Michael Szalapski is the winner of the awesome award! I tried precomposing that didnt work... so I changed colorama to threshold which worked for this particular project but is going to suck on my future projects... why is it that colorama effects alpha like that? Thanks eveyone for your help!

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:30:56 pm

You can also switch off "Modify Alpha" in the Colorama controls, no?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:44:51 pm

As I mentioned in my previous post, you can uncheck the option under modify so that Colorama doesn't have any effect on the alpha, but I realized I didn't answer your question.

[Kurt Hudson] "Why is it that colorama effects alpha like that?"

Because you told it to do so.

You just weren't aware that you were telling it that.
Each color point on the Colorama output wheel also has an alpha level. So you can tell it to be red AND 50% opacity at one point and blue AND 67% opacity at the next point.
As long as you have the modify option checked, telling it to modify the alpha, it's going to.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:23:55 pm

Well done, Michael!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 5, 2010 at 2:44:28 am

I may have been right as to why it wasn't feathering, but I didn't come up with the right solution.
USE COLORAMA!!! Just go under the modify twirl-down and uncheck Modify Alpha.

And precomposing will also work if you make sure you that Colorama is in the precomp and the mask is applied to the precomp. Instead, what you did (that didn't work), is that the mask was in the precomp and Colorama was applied to the precomp.

And even if you decided you didn't want to use Colorama anyway you still wouldn't be stuck with Threshold. Apply Hue-Saturation or Tint or Channel Mixer or any of your favorite ways to make a layer black and white, then use Curves or Levels and crush it! It'll look much better than Threshold with a lot more secure.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:12:58 pm

i guess to simple from me!
try to precompose the layer you want to mask
grt
Maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

kurt hudson
on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:01:31 pm

Thanks guys you have all been very helpful. these forums rock, I wish I could take you out for a beer!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]