ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

slit scan / time scan

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dan swan
slit scan / time scan
on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:31:41 pm

hello!
maybe my brain isn't functioning right but i can't figure out a way to perform the kind of time scan effect shown in here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IJpmqnJYA) and here (http://www.smoothware.com/danny/timescan.html) in after effects.

so far i have managed to manually create duplicated 1 pixel wide freezeframe adjustment layers on top of my video and have moved them one pixel horizontally every frame, but after twenty or so layers after effects just...dies.

does anyone have any idea how i could go about doing this?
hope i've made sense and thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: slit scan / time scan
on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:57:10 pm

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

dan swan
on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:12:02 pm

thanks but i haven't managed to make a linear moving 'freeze' of the video with time displacement - only this sort of thing

still trying to figure out a sort of 'moving hand on a flatbed scanner' effect

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:57:32 pm

Have you seen a recent clip by OK GO?

Friend of mine worked up an elegant solution for Apple's Motion, might work in AE, dunno.

Howdy,
The trail effect is easy: make a zero-speed particle emitter from your keyed footage. Set the particles so that they don't play (i.e. each particle is a single frame), then you need to animate the source particle frame value at the same rate as the footage (i.e. at 30fps if the source footage is 30fps).
So, here's a single particle emitter with a Rate parameter behavior applied to the source frame value: trails.mov.
If you want to be naughty, you can always make the emitter 3D and move it (and the camera): trails2.mov.
What makes the OK Go video so great (and it really is tight) is the artistic thought and execution: the use of patterned objects to wipe on textures, the constant changes in masking so that the various plates keep moving in-front-of and behind one another. As usual, technique doesn't necessarily equal art (see morphing).

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:14:46 pm

Clever. This might work with Trapcode's Particular ...

Return to posts index

dan swan
on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:19:14 pm

i hadn't, thanks for that and the explanation!
that's another effect i have been trying out and playing around with, the blame it on the boogie scanimate thing
it still seems like quite a different process to the time scan one however

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:51:00 pm

How about combining time displacement with displacement mapping?

Because you basically have a whole series that are displaying the same location but at different times. So play with a gradient with displacement mapping, until you get everything displaying the same column of pixels, and then you apply the time displacement gradient to that.

Return to posts index

dan swan
on Jan 13, 2010 at 3:46:42 pm

hey ryan,
have been trying to do this but so far to no avail, not sure how to get it showing the same column of pixels repeated across the comp to apply the time displacement...
could you clarify some of the finer details - or are there any other ways of doing it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]