COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Prashant KohliRendering Problem!!
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 6:41:45 pm

A little about my system before I post the query

Windows XP professional
1.83 Ghz dual core processor
3 Gb ram

I created a title sequence using Trapcode Particular. Ended up using 4 layers of particular to create a background. added some text to it and done with a minute long, 1503 frames, to be precise long animation.

The only problem is my system refuses to render it after 352nd frame. The particles are obviously at their max that point onward. But it just is not ready to render either as a video file or an image sequence.

Ive been playing with AE for a lil over an year now, and get to know something new everyday. Usually get my answers in forums but am clueless about this one.

Help someone!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering Problem!!
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:00:21 pm

Read these basic troubleshooting tips by Kevin Camp:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chris forresterRe: Rendering Problem!!
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:24:48 pm

On top of the link Dave posted I am curious to know if your rendering to a QT/AVI format.
When I am working on comps of some length I will often render to an image sequence and if I need to supply a QT render that from the image sequence.
I do this because if the system crashes, or the network goes down I only have to pick the render up from where it left of.

It might be that it crashes out again at the same frame, but next time you can restart from fresh and start it from that frame and not the start.

If I am having real problems with memory I often setup my render queue, close all my timeline tabs and also all my viewing windows then do a save. Restart AE and it will remember that those windows were closed, I can then just goto the render queue and fire the job off. Each of those tabs open use up some memory as well as the viewer window(composition, layer etc). I would also use the secret prefs mentioned in the link.

Not been a heavy user of Particular to know if having it purge the memory frequently thru the secret prefs will really slow the render...But the way I see it is better to just get it out and rendered :-P.

So if you happen to be rendering to QT/AVI movie i would suggest trying a image sequence (.TGA or similar)

what happens also when you try to render a single frame at that point and some frames after ?

Hope we get your render out the door!

Chris Forrester

Return to posts index

Prashant KohliRe: Rendering Problem!!
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:53:22 am

Thanks a bunch ... Dave & Chris

Dave I am going to go through the link u posted now and see if it helps me.

Chris, Dave & everyone else who is kind enough to's more details.

I closed all comps and tried rendering as TGA files ... it didn't work
I tried rendering from the very particular frame that was giving me trouble ... it didn't work.

But here's something thats odd. If I try saving it frame by frame as a TGA works! ... wow ... but the only problem is I need to do it 1503 times ... sigh!

I also tried to que up smaller segments of comp small as 1 second long ... But it wont render more than 3 frames starting from the problematic frame.

Another update ... it exports just fine :P ... damn how i hate to export from AE!

Besides I also tried using a friend's mac ... its got a 4 gig ram and is better than my windows in many ways but it stops at 408th frame .. and if he tries to render it from there onwards in a separate queue just renders 6 frames n gives up...

Could it have something to do with excessive particular layers?
just wondering!

help guys!

Return to posts index

Prashant KohliRe: Rendering Problem!!
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 11:57:17 am

o and yes i forgot to mention ... i tried rendering to QT/AVI first ... but then I tried TGA...none work :(

Return to posts index

chris forresterRe: Rendering Problem!!
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 11:23:23 am

Hi ya,
Glad some of the renders are getting out.

You had not mentioned if you tried the secret preferences yet?
If it is now on short sections crashing/stopping every 3 or so frames you might want to set the preferences to purge every 2, or even 1 frame.
I tried finding a link in the AE online manual but was very little chater on acessing it. But it is fairly simple. Hold down the SHIFT Key and with this held down goto the preferences menu, now on the drop down list in that box you should see a new option called secret. you might want to set it to purge every 1 frame. this thread describes it, and googling secret preferences AE turns up more links on the menu options.

This might get the render finished.

As for the amount of particular layers you are using I can not say from my experience if that is a problem. I have the plugin but use it sparingly in my work and often just one layer. Perhaps others might be able to comment on that.

Let us know how you get on

PS be sure to set those options back to purge 0 frames and anything else you might have changed as it will impact your renders on new projects you start or open

Chris Forrester

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved