ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

help to get clean crisp text AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rebecca Rumble
help to get clean crisp text AE
on Jan 4, 2010 at 12:57:25 pm

hey,

I'm having trouble getting clean crisp text in AE CS4.

-I've tried making the text really large then scaling it down, no results

-I've tried creating text in illustrator and bringing that in, still pixelated

-I've made sure that with both of these the little continuous rasterize switch is on

- I have no layers above or below

- and i'm outputting to quicktime, best 720 x 576 sq pixel, dv pal

- the canvas is set to full

any suggestions would be nice

stay animated
B

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: help to get clean crisp text AE
on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:58:17 pm

I'll bet you're looking at the footage in the viewer of your editing application or perhaps even a media viewer. I'll also hazard a guess that the footage is interlaced.

You really need to look at the footage in a video monitor. I'm a Mac/FCP guy, and I know for a fact that footage incorporating text and any graphics, then rendered in AE looks God-Awful in those little pea-shooter FCP viewers, but looks great in a monitor. I suspect other NLE's would do the same thing.

Interlaced video is no big deal, but you have to interpret the field order properly, and then you have to render it in the proper field order for the footage you're creating. For example, you can incorporate DV PAL footage in a 1080i 25 animation, but you interpret the DV footage as lower field first and render upper field first.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:07:48 pm

[Rebecca Rumble] "- the canvas is set to full"

is the resolution also set to 100%?

there is also a layer switch for each layer that looks like a diagonal string of squares. it will toggle between aliased and anti-aliased rendering for a given layer.

also, are you seeing the pixelation in the preview window or on the final render, or both?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:16:28 pm

if it is in the preview window, another problem may be ae's crude pixel aspect ratio correction... you can toggle that with the button at the bottom of the preview window that looks like a rectangle with a double-headded arrow on it. (i know you mentioned that you were working with a 720x576 sqr px comp, but i think that comp size would be a non-square px comp... though i could be wrong, i'm in ntsc land here).

if that is the case, the render should be fine when you take it into software that will handle the par correctly (like an nle).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Wieger de Leur
on Jan 5, 2010 at 1:18:36 pm

Hi all, from PAL-country

Kevin is right about the pixel aspect ratio. If you need a comp for DV-PAL, you set it to 720 x 576, but non-square! (the right pixel aspect ratio is 1.09)
If you use square pixels, your text-animation will be stretched out in your NLE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]