ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Super Bowl / Daytona`Flags` promo simulation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John MillerSuper Bowl / Daytona`Flags` promo simulation
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 6:20:43 am

I am trying to do similar effect to the flags and fabrics in this mind blowing promo ,I bought the Digital Juice fabric CD which has every thing you imagine about flapping drapes ,flags etc ,and I need to do the same thing they did in this video ,specifically at 0:21
Please help even if you are not sure ,just toss me any idea :(

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Super Bowl / Daytona`Flags` promo simulation
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 1:50:19 pm

at :21 (i think you're talking about the part with video of faulk running projected on the fabric), it looks like the video was just overlayed on the fabric shots with reduced opacity and/or a blending mode of overlay or softlight or something like that.

you might be able to further the effect by using the fabrice as a displacement map (for the displacement map effect) on the video layer.

also, zaxwerks has a plugin for ae called 3d flag that may help you. it does fairly nice 3d flag warping of a layer. the layer can be and image or video. they have a free trial available -- note that i had problems with this plugin with multiprocessing on, but it worked fine with mp disabled.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Super Bowl / Daytona`Flags` promo simulation
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 2:23:33 pm

I agree with Kevin.
Also, I have had good success with 3d Flag as well. You can make it look really good.

I have had odd things happen with several of Zax' products with multiprocessing on, but with it off everything works fine.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

John MillerRe: Super Bowl / Daytona`Flags` promo simulation
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:27:18 pm

First I would like to thank you both for taking the time to respond ,
I have been trying to create the shot with Zaxwerks for the last week ,it is actually a powerful plugin but it doesn`t give you the realistic look that you see in this video because obviously a real flags and fabrics were used .
Actually I tried overlaying the video shot over the blowing fabric video that I have with several adjustments of opacity and blending modes ,you still feel that the video shot is not `EMBEDED` in the fabric ,in other word it is very obvious that the fabric is flapping and the video shot is in different layer ..
Thanks again and you have a nice day .

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Super Bowl / Daytona`Flags` promo simulation
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:16:46 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the production company duplicated the motion of the flag in a 3D application, then mapped the football player on it for further compositing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Super Bowl / Daytona`Flags` promo simulation
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:04:52 am

Freeform AE will do a very good job. Take a look at this video tutorial -

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved