ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

strokes draw scene ...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Weststrokes draw scene ...
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 11:25:35 am

I'm building a graphics sequence where a scene is 'drawn' onto the screen using a series of strokes, before (somehow) transitioning into video.
At the moment I am tracing the video scene using a series of masks and applying trapcode 3D stroke to create the drawing on - just wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if so what other techniques / effects could work?

Something like this would be great!:

Any ideas would be great,

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: strokes draw scene ...
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:20:24 pm

I'd start looking for "how we made the spot" descriptions from Audi or their production company reps.
I can't tell form your inquiry what you want to do and the Audi spot is nothing like what I thought you were seeking.
we've been drawing or applying stroke-type effects to video around here for many years, I would hope there'd be some tutorials on file to help point you in what may turn out to be an unexpected path.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: strokes draw scene ...
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 9:57:34 pm

It's really hard, if not impossible, to control the shape of a 3D stroke line in more than one plane, so my guess is that 3D stroke was not involved here. In fact, The Mill used Flame, Shake and Maya.

You can do it if you don't expect to make complex contours that hold a car-like contour in more than one plane. You could make a car-like profile, then bend it a bit. Or you could make a stroke that only holds it shape when seen from one angle, but lies within one plane.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved