ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making a photo appear like it's live footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yaron BarMaking a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 7:46:34 am

Hello,

I have a composition with 1 layer which is a static Jpeg.
I would like to make this photo appear not like a photo, but more like it's a static video footage that was taken on a tripod. I guess that adding some fractal noise to it is part of the trick, but there's something else that is missing to create this illusion.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Y.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Making a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:10:39 am

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but what is it a picture OF?

Also, how do you plan to use Fractal Noise to make it look like video?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Tim WestRe: Making a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 11:17:22 am

Kind of hard to help without knowing what the picture is of and how much movement you want but ... I'm guessing this is the kind of effect you're after -

If so then the key is to get stuck into the image in Photoshop - seperating out elements in the picture (e.g foreground, midground (?) & background) - then painting out bits of background behind the elements so you can move/scale/rotate them to give the illusion of slowed footage. Adding in particles / fine detail can really help with this too.

Hope this helps,

T

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Making a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 12:21:24 pm

That's a good-looking spot, and there's a little more to this one than splitting out the photos into multiple planes. If you watch carefully, you'll see that the people in these photos actually move -- you can do this with subtle and artful application of the puppet tool.

If this is the effect you're looking for, there was a thread on the same topic from a couple days ago where I suggested projection mapping as an alternative.

But it sounds like you are trying to make a static image look like a static, locked-down tripod shot, correct? You could add a little grain, but you're going to need to animate something in the frame to sell the shot, and Michael is, as always, right on point when he asks what the clip looks like.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Yaron BarRe: Making a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 3:48:00 pm

Hi everyone and thanks for your posts -

I didn't quite mean to create an elaborate 3d camera effect of space.

What I meant was that I take a simple photo and place in the composition, now what I have looks like a static photo.
I am interested that this photo (of inanimate objects, for example an empty room) will look as if this was a footage that was recorded by a video camera.
I am not interested in a 'security camera' low quality look, but just a simple video feeling, as if this photo wasn't taken once and is shown statically, but recorded over time, 25 frames a second.

I really don't know what causes the difference between a video footage of an empty room, or a static photo of one, but everyone can feel this difference. This difference consists of some fractal noise I imagine, but that is not all.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Making a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 3:57:43 pm

Grain (if it's moving) will help a bit. So will sneaking in a tiny bit of "nat sound" if possible. Hearing something can reinforce the illusion.

How long does the shot have to be up? One second? Two? Maybe a bit of very subtle light change?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2010 at 7:46:36 pm

The grain effect I achieve with the Fractal Noise effect, and I will add sound too. But still there appears to be something missing...

This shot should be as long as one minute..

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Making a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 3, 2010 at 8:38:38 pm

Fractal noise wouldn't be my first choice for simulating video noise or film grain, but if it's working for you; great!
If I had to make it look video there are several things I would try. This is just shooting in the dark and guessing, 'cause I haven't seen an example of the shot, but here goes:

You've already mentioned adding a bit of noise with fractal noise, but you might consider using one of the grain effects instead. They're made to actually simulate different film stocks.

Depending on what kind of video you're attempting to emulate, play with the color correction tools to try to give it less dynamic range. Two instances of levels, one to add more contrast to the point of losing a bit of detail on the highs and lows and another to bring it back to normal but now with less detail.

Save your jpeg out of Photoshop (or whatever you use to edit such things) as the final pixel size of your comp; don't scale it down in AE. You might even consider saving it a few pixels smaller and scaling it up a touch in AE, again depending on what sort of source you're attempting to emulate.

Add a bit of motion to the scene. Light playing on the window, a fly buzzing through the scene, curtains moving with the slightest hint of a breeze from the vent, dust particles in sunlight...that sort of thing. Rarely is a room truly still.

If there's fluorescent lighting in the room, perhaps a bit of randomness and flickering in the light would help. (Done using a wiggle expression on the opacity of an adjustment layer with a levels effect, perhaps.)

Put a very subtle wiggle on the camera so it's not perfectly still. Just a touch though, subtlety is key.

Audio! Realistic room sound will go a long way to sell the effect.

HOWEVER: I'm a big fan of doing things practically. Save your picture out of Photoshop at the proper final size and output it from Premiere or Final Cut (or whatever) onto DV tape (or whatever type of media you're trying to emulate) then recapture from the tape onto your machine. So, for example you're trying to copy the look of DV tape, you'll be nearly there in one step! Putting it onto tape will lose the color info and add the noise that you're looking for.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:53:09 am

Thanks for your advices, I will try them !

Return to posts index

Alan LloydRe: Making a photo appear like it's live footage
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:15:34 am

A minute is a very long shot duration even in a feature film. Are you sure?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:51:30 am

Well, maybe 30 seconds is more what I meant.. but in these 30 seconds I will add some animation on top of that photo. But before the animation I want already that it feels as a video capture.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]