ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Syncing audio with visual cues in after effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nic Cross
Syncing audio with visual cues in after effects
on Jan 3, 2010 at 5:42:52 am

Hi I need help on figuring out the best setting for Syncing audio with visual cues in after effects.

We need to be able to play in real time the footage in order to determine when best the animation should start/happen.

Right now we are playing the footage in Avid and getting the timing of the clip to match it to the animation but its frustrating as its too much back and forth and surely after effects can do things in real time with a proxy?

And why when I make proxies the audio always disappears?

Thanks in advance a billion guys!

-Nic

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Syncing audio with visual cues in after effects
on Jan 3, 2010 at 12:08:57 pm

[Nic Cross] "Hi I need help on figuring out the best setting for Syncing audio with visual cues in after effects. We need to be able to play in real time the footage in order to determine when best the animation should start/happen. Right now we are playing the footage in Avid and getting the timing of the clip to match it to the animation but its frustrating as its too much back and forth and surely after effects can do things in real time with a proxy?"

AE isn't a realtime system, so you're already doing this the best way by timing it out in an external program. When I'm working on a project with lots of audio cues like this, I time it out in FCP and note the frame counter where each effect must begin and end.

Your best option inside of AE is to press the period key on the numeric keypad (to begin an audio preview), and then tap the asterisk on the numeric keypad to add a markers as the audio plays.

You can also twirl down the audio waveform (or select an audio track and hit L twice) to use as a guide.

Finally, you might check out Trapcode Sound Keys, which may or may not help, depending on what effects you need to achieve.

[Nic Cross] "And why when I make proxies the audio always disappears? "

When you add the proxies to your render queue, did you add audio to your output module? It's not there by default.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:41:33 pm

When I've had to do a ton of cues, I've simply cut together solids of different colors in my NLE, usually just black and white. The cuts are the cue points. Once I'm satisfied all the cuts are okay, I export the video into AE and have at it.

Yeah, it's crude, but it works.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nic Cross
on Jan 11, 2010 at 11:53:09 pm

Ok then After Effects may not be the best choice then...

So is there any other compositing software that works with audio better then After Effects? Pref with motion graphics capabilities...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2010 at 12:05:40 am

[Nic Cross] "So is there any other compositing software that works with audio better then After Effects? Pref with motion graphics capabilities..."

In the desktop computing world, using off-the-shelf software, NOTHING is going to do what you want to do in real time. You might look at Motion from Apple, but I doubt it's going to do the job any better than AE. Now, if you have deep pockets, you could look at Autodesk's Inferno.

Oh, wait, there's Autodesk's Flame for Mac! The subscription fee is only about $14,000 the first year, and $5800 for each subsequent year. That's a lot less than Inferno.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]