ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pc-prompt-style writing effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea GianfredaPc-prompt-style writing effects
by on Jan 1, 2010 at 4:41:58 pm

Hello everyone I would like to create an effect of pc-writing like prompt. I don't want to use the underscore (_) char i would like to use a char like the ASCII █ 219 code.

By the way seems that AE doesn't use ASCII chars because █ it isn't visibile. If I create a new shape layer like a rect when I use the radial blur to make it more real it doesn't become blurred but remains defined. I need also to give to this vector char a little glow so the blur it's important otherways I won't see the glowing except on the rect.

Oh, the vector must also blink... there is a string, instructions or something else to do this or I must use keyframes for ALL the composition?

Sorry for my english and if this question has been already posted but I've only found "Typewriter style" effects around the net.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Pc-prompt-style writing effects
by on Jan 2, 2010 at 6:23:30 pm

Andrea, I would create the shape layer and add a glow. Next, on the first frame, add a Hold keyframe with Opacity at 100%. On the seventh frame, add another Hold keyframe with Opacity at 0%. On the tenth frame, add a final Hold keyframe with Opacity back at 100%.

Now, still on the tenth frame, option-click the Opacity stopwatch to add an expression, and use the following:

This will allow the layer to blink on and off throughout the main comp. You can control the speed of the blink by keyframing those first 10 frames however you like.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andrea GianfredaRe: Pc-prompt-style writing effects
by on Jan 4, 2010 at 12:33:52 am

I had a problem with the glow but I resolved it.

Thanks a lot, you're too kind... thanks to you I've finished my comp :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved