ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Videos rendered by After Effects CS4 are slow to play in quicktime

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob SaltzmanVideos rendered by After Effects CS4 are slow to play in quicktime
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 9:02:04 pm

Whenever I try to play a video I rendered in After Effects, it will not play correctly in Quicktime. I know that all the footage is there; I can (slowly) scroll through each frame, but when played at full speed it stops and skips. I render all my compositions in full resolution and as .MOV files because I use Avid and that is all it will accept.

I have had this issue on two computers with both Windows and Mac:

iMac 4,1 (2006)
Mac OS X 10.6
2g RAM
250g hard drive
1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
Quicktime 7 (default)
Quicktime X

and

HP Workstation xw8600
Windows XP Professional SP2
500g hard drive + 1 tb
4g RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo (not sure of speed)
Quicktime 7

both are running After Effects CS4 9.0.2

Note: Quicktime X behaves worse than Quicktime 7, but both are still pretty bad

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Videos rendered by After Effects CS4 are slow to play in quicktime
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 9:21:01 pm

You will have this issue on any computer you try it on most likely. The file you're outputting from AE is (probalby) a lossless, high quality file. Which is fine for bringing into Premiere or Final Cut.
Why? You ask.
Because the data rate is too high. It's nothing to do with your processor or RAM in this case it's hard drive speed. Unless your running a good RAID setup you will not be able to play that file back.

Use Adobe Media Encoder (or some other encoding software or video editing program, but NOT After Effects) and encode the file as something more playable such as a WMV or a Quicktime with the MP4 or .H264 codec.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Videos rendered by After Effects CS4 are slow to play in quicktime
by on Dec 31, 2009 at 10:24:28 pm

You should render full res, high quality, but to the Avid codec, yes?

You might be able to find those on the Automatic Duck website.

Return to posts index

Jacob SaltzmanRe: Videos rendered by After Effects CS4 are slow to play in quicktime
by on Jan 2, 2010 at 1:03:34 am

Thanks! The video is playable. Why would Adobe (or anyone) create an exporter that exports that , generally, doesn't work? Are they meant to be converted again? When I load the choppy clips into Avid, it converted them somehow into playable footage, but the resolution was horrible. I guess you have to pay 10,000 dollars to make it look professional. Maybe I should switch to Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Videos rendered by After Effects CS4 are slow to play in quicktime
by on Jan 2, 2010 at 11:27:44 pm

[Jacob Saltzman] "When I load the choppy clips into Avid, it converted them somehow into playable footage, but the resolution was horrible."

I bet you simply need to look at the footage on a video monitor. You can't trust the viewers in an editing application to show proper picture quality.

[Jacob Saltzman] " Maybe I should switch to Final Cut."

Okay, but that's what I use.... and you DEFINITELY need a video monitor to judge picture quality in FCP, ni ifs, ands or buts.

Got a monitor? Better get one!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]