ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

List effects and ram ussage?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beau Baker
List effects and ram ussage?
on Dec 29, 2009 at 11:13:00 pm

Anyone know if a list exist that has the order of effects by ram usage for after effects?

Be a nice reference to have when planning a project.

I can't stand being hours into a job and spending all my time waiting for ram previews. If I had a reference to know what combination of effects to avoid or use a comparable alternative effect to speed up composting, I'd be in heaven.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beau

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: List effects and ram ussage?
on Dec 30, 2009 at 5:07:39 pm

[Beau Baker] "Anyone know if a list exist that has the order of effects by ram usage for after effects?"

I don't know if such a list exists, and I don't think it would help you speed up your workflow even if it did. If you're waiting on RAM previews, you're probably limited more by processor usage than RAM usage of particular effects.

While we're on the topic of RAM usage, though, check out Todd Kopriva's excellent blog post "Don't starve your applications of RAM."

[Beau Baker] "I can't stand being hours into a job and spending all my time waiting for ram previews. If I had a reference to know what combination of effects to avoid or use a comparable alternative effect to speed up composting, I'd be in heaven."

It sounds like you could see a productivity boost if you fine-tune your workflow.

Adobe has some truly excellent online help, if you know what to look for. In particular, you should read up on these topics:
- RAM preview/Shift+RAM preview resolution and frame rates
- Region of interest
- Proxies
- Pre-rendering

There's also an entry specifically about improving performance.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Beau Baker
on Dec 30, 2009 at 6:00:03 pm

Thanks Walter. I've researched all of those a little and eventually will wrap my head around getting the max performance out of my system. But there is only so much I can do with limited upgrade ability on my 32bit. Would like to go to 64, but company money is tight right now and the compatibility with my Avid hardware is somewhat of a Durante for me. Just thought I'd throw a line out there and see if a categorized list existed. I'm sure Adobe has way of knowing how much each effect/plugin uses, do you think contacting them would help?

Thanks

Beau

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 30, 2009 at 6:23:19 pm

[Beau Baker] "But there is only so much I can do with limited upgrade ability on my 32bit."

The topics I posted about (changing RAM preview preferences, proxies, regions of interest, pre-rendering) are all about getting more preview performance with less hardware. Taking an hour or two to get to know them now will really help to streamline your production work.

If you're running a 32-bit operating system, you will be somewhat RAM-constrained. I'd suggest keeping multi-processing off in order to avoid RAM problems.

[Beau Baker] "I'm sure Adobe has way of knowing how much each effect/plugin uses"

I think it's a little more complicated than that; the processor and memory usage of different effects will vary depending on your source footage and effect settings. Experience is a good teacher here; you'll find that blurs, glows, time-remapping with pixel motion, warps, and big particle systems are generally render hogs -- but they're also all necessary and irreplaceable. Knowing when you're using a render-intensive effect, and working around it with the tools above, will help you speed up your workflow without having to avoid specific, useful tools.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Beau Baker
on Dec 30, 2009 at 7:17:56 pm

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>