ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

replace multiple AI layers from one document?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
replace multiple AI layers from one document?
on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:38:57 pm

Hey Guys,

I've created an animation from an AI file that contains 5 layers. I've imported them into AE at layer size...as a comp.

I had the designer create multiple versions and basically want to replace with a matching AI file (layer name- size) and have replace the import of the AI file.

It seems that my only option is to select EACH layer and replace with a specific layer from the new AI file.

Is there something I'm missing? Anyone else use this type of workflow?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: replace multiple AI layers from one document?
on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:45:42 pm

• In AE, delete the newly-imported AI file for now
  • Quit AE
  • Delete the old AI File from the folder where you keep your media for the AE project.... you DO maintain a "Footage" folder where everything is stored for a project right? You don't simply import footage from hither and yon on your computer, right?
  • Open AE
  • When it asks you to find the missing footage, direct it to the new AI file

This trick only works if you maintained the same number of layers in the old and new AI documents.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 29, 2009 at 4:04:53 pm

Yea...everything lines up as far as dimensions of layers and number of layers.

[Dave LaRonde] "hither and yon"

I use the "hither" folder...but I've not found the "yon" - is that in the applications folder? :)

I maintain a project folder with a "GFX" folder that contains all graphics relevant to that project. I guess I need to Sub-folder those graphics...to lock away the graphics for each version into a folder that AE can't find.

I think that will work.

Thanks Dave,

-Jason

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Dec 29, 2009 at 6:09:14 pm

[Jason Brown] "I guess I need to Sub-folder those graphics...to lock away the graphics for each version into a folder that AE can't find. "

When doing what I call 'versioning' projects, I find using archives helpful ... allows 'hiding' things from AE without changing their locations, names or folder structure. On both platforms, you can set up you computer so that putting files and folders inside of archives, as well as extracting them back to the same locations, are both just a single click away (i.e., via WinZIP's shell options). Archives also save space, although drive space is much less a concern these days.

By the way, the "yon" folder is right next to the flux capacitor ... duh!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]