ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to export files from FCT to QT on a PC?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Fink
how to export files from FCT to QT on a PC?
on Dec 29, 2009 at 1:11:27 am

For too long I have worked on exporting material from FCP with the goal to view it in Quicktime on a PC. Now I hope someone can give me an idea about what to do, cause I am lost!

I have exported the files as QT files, but when i play them in QT only the sound works. I have thought about using other media players, but I think I need to stick to QT because it counts the frames.(The material is gonna be translated for a documentary and therefore I need to know the frame number because it corresponds to the timecoding in FCP.)

I have tried converting the files to a format that works in QT using a third part converter (emicsoft and AVCware), but so far with no success. Either the video will not show or the audio and video stays out of sync.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

I need some help!

best, Anne

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: how to export files from FCT to QT on a PC?
on Dec 29, 2009 at 2:23:21 pm

You might want to ask this in one of the COW's Final Cut forums.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:39:13 pm

[Anne Fink] "...I have worked on exporting material from FCP with the goal to view it in Quicktime on a PC.... I have exported the files as QT files, but when i play them in QT only the sound works. "

I bet when you play the files, you see a white screen. This is because you don't have the proper codec. You may have to purchase it. What was the codec you used in FCP?

You should also know this: several years ago, Microsoft and Apple agreed to disagree on what constitutes the ideal media container, and what constitutes good codecs. So the two companies don't support one another, leaving the door open for third-party software developers to bridge the gap... for a price.

It's generally extremely good policy to adopt ONE platform -- Windows or Mac -- and stick with it. Cross-platform issues get dicey.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 29, 2009 at 4:15:22 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "I bet when you play the files, you see a white screen. This is because you don't have the proper codec. You may have to purchase it. What was the codec you used in FCP? "

You might have been editing with one of Apple's codecs: either Uncompressed, Intermediate, or ProRes. Of these, only ProRes is supported on QuickTime on Windows, and the free decoder is not included with QuickTime; it must be downloaded separately from Apple.

Another option is to compress the video before viewing it. An h264 MP4 file would be playable on QT for Windows.

You might also consider "burning in" the time code into the video, either with a filter in FCP or Compressor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Art Kellner
on Jan 5, 2010 at 6:30:34 am

I was so relieved to find this thread. I have been trying for a week now to develop a work flow to move material digitized in FCP to my Avid on a PC. So I earnestly downloaded the ProRes for Windows and then began the install. The following message appeared:

"A Later version of Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder is already installed on this machine."

I have QT Pro 7.6.5 on my PC with Windows XP Professional SP3.

Why do HDV and XDCam files exported from FCP still playback a black screen - no video? This is very confusing and frustrating.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Art

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]