ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

60i to 24p slow motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Run Rodriguez
60i to 24p slow motion
on Dec 28, 2009 at 8:14:04 pm

In 1080 hd, I'm trying to go from 60i to 24p in slow motion using after effects.

Here's my process at the moment:

1. Import 60i movie (Apple ProRes 422)
2. Place the movie in a comp set to 29.97 fps. Let's call this COMP1.
3. Apply Fields Kit Deinterlacer with 2x duration so I end up with 60 full frames at 50% original speed.
4. Place COMP1 into a new comp (COMP2) set to 29.97 fps.
5. Apply Twixtor Pro 4.5 at 50% to COMP1. This slows down the footage even more, to 25% original speed.

So far, so good. Here is where I have an issue.

6. Place COMP2 into a new comp (COMP3) set to 24 fps.

Is there a way to use all of the frames so that COMP2 doesn't try to match the settings when imported into COMP3? This would slow down the final footage even more, by about 25%, but that's fine. Basically I don't want to lose any frames here.

Hope this is clear. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: 60i to 24p slow motion
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:00:39 pm

Go into your composition settings and go to the advanced tab. You will see a check box for "Reserve frame rate when nested or in render queue. That may do what you want. (Or I may have misunderstood your question.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Run Rodriguez
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:37:40 pm

Thanks. That's what I thought would work too, but when I applied this check box to reserve frame rate for COMP1 and/or COMP2, I didn't notice the frames spreading out in COMP3. So I am still losing frames. Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Run Rodriguez
on Dec 28, 2009 at 11:39:46 pm

I learned that what I am trying to do is called re-conforming. Now I know the term, but I'm still not sure how to do this in after effects.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 29, 2009 at 2:40:05 pm

I'm not quite sure I'm following your problem, but how about render comp 2 out then import it into AE and tell it to interpret the footage at 24p?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:30:38 pm

Michael's got it -- render your slo-mo stuff, reimport into AE, and conform to 23.976. Not 23.98, not 24. The film frame rate in NTSC-Land is 23.976. You do it in the Interpret Footage settings. Highlight the footage and go File>Interpret>Main.

Now, it will be tad bit slower than half speed. If you don't want that, it's time for more figurin' and cypherin'.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Run Rodriguez
on Dec 29, 2009 at 4:01:44 pm

Thanks. I think keeping it all 29.97 in After Effects for the first export is the way to go. From there, another tip I picked up is to then use compressor in final cut. There is an option there "so source frames play at 24 frames per second". This keeps all frames and slows down the footage 25%. I've also read that I can do this with Cinema Tools without the need to render, but I've never used that before. I'm new to final cut, having recently switched from Premiere. It would be great to hear if anyone knows how to do this in Cinema Tools, but maybe I should post that in another forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]