by on Dec 27, 2009 at 12:04:21 pm

hey

do anyone know how to make a tsunami in adobe after effects
and howto fall out of a plane?

can anyone help??

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Tsunami & faling down
by on Dec 28, 2009 at 3:02:32 pm

How to fall out of a plane is pretty easy; open the door and step out. Gravity will do the rest. (I'm kidding, I'll get to how to od this in After Effects in a sec.)

You cannot create a Tsunami in After Effects, but you can composite one into a scene with AE. After Effects is not a 3d application, much less one with amazing liquid simulation. You could get footage of waves from some place such as Artbeats and use AE to place it in the scene. It will require a lot of preplanning, storyboarding, etc. before shooting to make sure it looks good.
Footage of waves would be good for when it's offshore heading in, but if you're wanting to have it hit the shore, your actors, buildings, trees, etc. you will have to use some other techniques as well.
Creating something like this that looks realistic will probably take weeks, if not months, of work.
You will want your shot of the wave developing and coming in (this is where you could use the stock footage and comp it in). Then you'd want reaction shots from your talent. Then, depending on what other shots are called for, I would suggest building miniatures and flooding them while shooting at a high frame rate (more than 100fps). This way when played back it'll be in slow motion, this makes miniatures look more like the proper size.
If you wanted, you could composite people into your miniature shot to add realism and to make it look like your actors are actually in the scene. But I'm not sure what your script actually calls for, so I'm just guessing.
You might look into the Psunami plug-in for AE that does some very good water simulation to help with some of your composites. You may also want to use a particle effect to get some splashes. AE ships with several decent particle generators (such as CC Particle World), but Wondertouch's ParticleIllusion, but I use the stand-alone program, not the AE plug-in that was just released.
The gist is that you will need to do a whole lot of planning and practice to get it right. Usually, in Hollywood, scenes like this use teams of people working over months to make it look right; don't expect to be able to do it yourself in a few hours. There is a reason movies like 2012 cost so much to make.

Now, to the much easier task of making it look like someone is falling out of an airplane:
How you do it will depend on what kind of shot you're looking for. Do you want it from inside the aircraft as he falls out the door and away from us? Do you want it from outside the aircraft as he comes into view? Do you want it to be of him hitting the ground in a big splatter of human juice?
Is he intending to fall out of a plane or is he being pushed? If this character wants to fall out of a plane, then I would assume he's taken precautions against gravity, such as wearing a parachute. In which case, the easiest thing to do would be to go to a sky diving place and film someone jumping out of a plane.
If it absolutely must be done without using a real plane or the person must be parachuteless, I do have some suggestions:

If you need a shot from inside the plane you can put a blue screen (or green screen, but I think blue would be better since any color spill will look like sky) outside the door of your plane interior set, have your fans blowing to simulate the wind whipping around the plane and have your stunt guy jump out onto your mats. If you're not shooting DV or HDV and everything's lit well, it should be a relatively easy thing to key him out with Keylight, Color Key, or any of a zillion different recipes for keying. (There are many tutorials on getting a good key around.)
Another possibility is to build your set outside in a location that allows you to shoot out the door of the plane and see nothing but sky. Then on a windy day (or with fans), have the stunt guy jump onto your mats.
If you need the shot to be outside the plane, looking up at the falling guy, you could just dangle your stunt guy on a wire and have him wiggle around while some fans blow. Again, this could be done on a blue or green chromakey screen or outside looking up at the sky. All you'd have to do is a bit of wire removal and you'd be good to go. CC Simple Wire Removal may work, or you may have to do a teeny bit of rotoscoping.
You would then just take a picture or footage of an airplane and composite it into the shot.

If you want the shot to be looking down at the ground, you could use a similar process, but you'd need some aerial photos or video to composite against instead of merely the sky.

While this is easier than the Tsunami, it will still require quite a bit of planning (and some test shots) to make it look real.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mevlut yilmazRe: Tsunami & faling down
by on Dec 28, 2009 at 4:18:51 pm

ok thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Tsunami & faling down
by on Dec 28, 2009 at 6:42:52 pm

No problem. If you have any further questions, let us know.

Oh, and I messed up my typing on the part about the particles, I meant to say,
You may also want to use a particle effect to get some splashes. AE ships with several decent particle generators (such as CC Particle World), but Trapcode Particular is my favorite AE particle tool. I'm also a fan of Wondertouch's ParticleIllusion, but I use the stand-alone program, not the AE plug-in that was just released.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]