ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

vectors look pixelated

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wolfgang Amrivectors look pixelated
by on Dec 25, 2009 at 3:43:20 pm

Hi all,
I´m new here at creative cow (having only read so far and found great info) and also pretty new to After Effects.

Guess what, I ran into a problem.
  • I am using vectors copied from illustrator onto a solid layer.
  • They work very well in 2D and also in 3D but only as long as the camera is in the same composition as the solids.
  • If I precompose the solids and make them 3D, they look pixelated when I make them larger or zoom in.
  • Checking the box continuously rasterize (as I´ve read here in the forums in a post from 2006) seems to convert the precomposed layers into 2D layers again, and the camera movement doesn´t affect them.

• I´m on a mac using AE CS4, can anybody help???

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!!!

Return to posts index

Tam PerlRe: vectors look pixelated
    by on Dec 25, 2009 at 5:17:21 pm

Wolfgang -- I had the same problem. I suspect it's something to do with the CS4 version of Illustrator, because I had no such problem with CS3 Illustrator files.

In any event, my workaround is this: Open the Illustrator file in Photoshop. Since it's a vector, it'll scale up sharp. When you first open it in PSP, make sure that your size is the same (or better) than your largest final AE usage. Then disregard Illustrator, and use the PSD image. You can always scale down in AE if necessary.

Return to posts index

Bruce WainerRe: vectors look pixelated
    by on Dec 25, 2009 at 6:55:56 pm

When using continuously rasterize on a comp, the switch actually becomes collapse transformations, meaning that After Effects treats the layer in the precomp as if they where in the outer comp. Therefore, for a layer to be 3D outside of the precomp, it has to be 3D inside of the precomp. Just open the precomp and set the vector layers to be 3D. Problem solved.

Bruce Wainer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: vectors look pixelated
    by on Dec 28, 2009 at 4:09:03 pm

[Wolfgang Amri] "I am using vectors copied from illustrator onto a solid layer."

As soon as you did that, your nice vector stuff turned into a bitmapped layer. Think about it: what is a solid? It's a bitmapped layer. And of course if you scale it up, it's going to look funny, just as any other bitmapped layer does.

So you'll have to think about a different way of doing what you want to do.

Dave LaRonde
    Sr. Promotion Producer
    KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Wolfgang AmriRe: vectors look pixelated
    by on Jan 3, 2010 at 9:08:08 am

Hi you three!
    Thanks a lot for your help, I´ll get into this next week, being out of office at the moment. Just wanted to say thank you!!!

All the best,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2016 All Rights Reserved