ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"introduction" effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike stern"introduction" effect
by on Dec 24, 2009 at 7:20:37 pm

Hi,
Well, this would be hard to describe, but here we go:
in some "sophisticated" action movies, and maybe other types of movies, the creators use an "effect" when introducing characters in the film in which the camera zooms onto the character, the background behinds him becomes a solid color and the characters texture becomes as if he was painted. The character, his name and the background appear with a noisy kind of texture.

This effect was also used in an episode of "How i met your mother". I've attached a print screen of it.

In short, anyone knows a good tutorial of how to make this effect? I'm having trouble especially with making the characters texture and color.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: "introduction" effect
by on Dec 24, 2009 at 9:33:48 pm

Without a picture to go on, I would suggest it's possible they took a still into Photoshop and played with it extensivly to get the look. Then, when they zoom in, they mask the trasition from movement to still with the zoom and some motion blur.

Again, I'm just guessing because the picture doesn't seem to be attached. Pop a picture up on here, and I'll be happy to take another stab at it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Mike sternRe: "introduction" effect
by on Dec 24, 2009 at 11:44:55 pm

Oops.
Here it is:

example.jpg

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: "introduction" effect
by on Dec 28, 2009 at 2:13:02 pm

I hope you had a merry Christmas.
From the example you've posted, it looks like they simply used CC Toner coupled with a levels or curve effect (before CC Toner in the stack) to crush some of the levels. It's hard to tell in the example, because it's a little small, but they may also have used a posterize effect.

To be honest, unless you absolutely must copy something else exactly, play around with it and come up with your own look. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want. I would suggest playing with some of the Stylize effects such as Brush Stroke and Cartoon. Don't just settle for the default settings, you can get a lot of different looks out of some of them with some experimentation.

You could also do as I previously mentioned and take that still into Photoshop and do tons of things to it there.

If there's a specific thing you're looking for and can't seem to find a way to do it, let us know.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]