ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Expressions for Photo Montage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeff openshaw
Expressions for Photo Montage
on Dec 23, 2009 at 10:24:59 pm

Can an expression be created that would resize a photo the way http://www.avincistudio.com does. You just upload your pictures and they are sized perfectly for the project. I created a photo Montage of a group of pictures laying in a pile on top of a photo album and the pictures rise up in view one at a time for 4 seconds. I know I can resize them in PS but some are portrait and some are landscape so I have to scale them up or down depending on those choices.

Return to posts index

Bruce Wainer
Re: Expressions for Photo Montage
on Dec 24, 2009 at 1:37:14 am

For What I think you want, no expression is needed. To make all images perfectly sized to the Comp, just select them, right-click on the image(s) in the viewer, and go to 'Transform>Fit to Comp Width' or 'Transform>Fit to Comp Height'. You can also just select the image(s) and do the same from the Layer menu at the top of the window. For vertical images, Fit to Comp Height is best, and Fit to Comp Width for Horizontal Images.

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Bruce Wainer

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 24, 2009 at 2:06:16 am

There's 2 ways to approach this, hit 's' then alt click stopwatch and paste in one of these expressions

1. forces footage to fit composition even if aspect ratio is different. Pictures can get stretched.

nominalCompWidth = width;
nominalCompHeight = height;
[value[0]*thisComp.width/nominalCompWidth,value[1]*thisComp.height/nominalCompHeight]

2. only resizes to maximum within aspect ratio limit.

if((width/height)<=((thisComp.width*thisComp.pixelAspect)/thisComp.height)) x=thisComp.height/height*100; else x=thisComp.width/width*(thisComp.pixelAspect*100);
[x,x]

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

jeff openshaw
on Dec 24, 2009 at 9:12:45 pm

Thanks Chris! The 1st expression works with landscape pictures, but as you indicated the stretch factor comes in on portrait pictures so I will just have to scale those type myself. This will save me some time though. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 24, 2009 at 10:04:03 pm

without stretching or dead space, all that's left is cropping. There's cropping expressions but they won't know what part you deem keepable. Any auto aligning might save time too.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

jeff openshaw
on Dec 25, 2009 at 2:55:38 am

Do you know how the avinci software works? It appears to be after effects projects and the pictures resize perfectly and quickly. I downloaded the software and created a dvd preview with some random pictures on my hard drive. They must have some good people behind the software. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]