ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing Anamorphic DV to After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kasper de BontImporting Anamorphic DV to After Effects
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 9:58:36 pm

I dont think I've ever posted here before, though been learning for years now through the site.

The thing I really cant figure out:
I edit my anamorphic DV PAL footage in FCP. When I export my sequence with "current settings" it becomes a 720x576, and I manually resize it to 1024x576 in quicktime, no problem.
For deinterlacing, I export through compressor, using the frame controls to deinterlace (found that this brought me best quality on web). This gives me nice quality and I dont have to change the aspect manually (coz of pixel aspect I think). So, till now im happy.

BUT: when I want to apply some AE work (in this case text, coz I dont like the FCP text), I try to import the compressor deinterlaced stuff, and I just cant get it to be the right size in AE. It sees it as 720x576 footage (what I think is right, although in QT it shows as 16:9 1024x576) with widescreen pixels (1,42) BUT LOOKS SQUEEZED 4:3. Also, it does not recognize it being deinterlaced (though thats no big problem).

Can someone plz be my savior?
I hope I provided enought details about the workflow.

PS. When I import my manually resized interlaced footage, I just have to put the pixel aspect to (1,42) and no problem. Thing is, I like the compressor deinterlacing better then AE.
PPS. iDVD seems to have this same problem, as the 16:9 deinterlaced stuff from quicktime becomes 4:3 in iDVD as well.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Importing Anamorphic DV to After Effects
by on Dec 24, 2009 at 5:02:49 am

If you don't like the way that After Effects is interpreting your footage by default, then you can change the footage interpretation settings. For example, you could tell After Effects not to separate fields;if you import footage with DV PAL frame dimensions, After Effects is going to assume by default that the footage has fields.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Kasper de BontRe: Importing Anamorphic DV to After Effects
by on Dec 24, 2009 at 10:14:53 am

Thank you for your quick reply.
I know the interpret footage > main window, but i cant fix my problem in there. My anamorphic footage 720x576, interpreted with 1.42 pixel aspect, looks 4:3 squeezed in AE, like square pixel 720x576 footage would. In quicktime it shows as 1024x576, so perfectly fine.

Now after trying everything i could think of i found that if i kept te footage the way AE interpreted it (720x576, pixel aspect 1.42) and put the composition settings to 1024x576, square pixel, i got the footage to at least show as 16:9 in the compostion (though when i doubleclick the original footage in the project, its still 4:3). The composition looks like its stretching the footage a bit, but mayb thats just me.

Bottom line: this does not make sense to me! Am i doing the right thing now or should i not apply this "trick" to get it working, and what should i do instead?
Thnx again

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Importing Anamorphic DV to After Effects
by on Dec 24, 2009 at 2:06:47 pm

This is possibly a dumb question, but have you checked the Toggle Pixel Aspect Ratio Correction button?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved