ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Ford F-150 TV Spot

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach RutledgeFord F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 3:02:48 am

I am trying to figure out a way to replicate what they did in this Ford F-150 commercial in After Effects CS3:

Any ideas or can anyone point me in the right direction for a tutorial to help explain this technique?

Return to posts index

Tracy PetersonRe: Ford F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 4:32:31 am

Which technique do you mean?

The color correction? The keying of original footage? The text animation? There is a lot going on here, what part intrigues you? There are a number of items adding to this lovely whole.

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Aaron ShedlockRe: Ford F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 5:14:12 am

I agree. Quite a lot going on. Lot's of textures, cool camera moves, masks, keying, ramps, curves adjustments, etc etc. Excellent spot. Check out Andrew Kramer's tutorial on his Sure Target plug-in as a way to quickly get those cool camera animations. Good place to start anyways. He also has some great bits about using textures, lighting, particles, etc, which would all be helpful in "re-creating" this spot.

Have fun learning how, that's the best part.

Programmer - an organism that turns coffee into software. ~Author Unknown

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Ford F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 6:03:55 am

I agree with both previous posters.

The most important thing about these spots is planning. Lots and lots of planning. The techniques are mostly pretty basic; rotoscoping/keying, text, layer position animation, color correction, etc. Basic, but really well executed. It's executed so well because of massive amounts of planning (coupled with very rather writing).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

jeff dobrowRe: Ford F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 3:59:51 pm

These are the 'rant' series of spots originated at Ringside for JWT.
No special techniques here......proficiency with AE ofcourse (obviously including camera control).

Otherwise, everyone already said it.
Having just worked on one of these,...the best workflow is to design your type frames very loosely. Then rough out the camera motion for the type. Then go back and start filling in details.
The transitions are key. From side profile to overhead...etc..etc.

Return to posts index

Zach RutledgeRe: Ford F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 4:40:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about not being very clear in what I was asking. Actually knowing what steps were taken for the entire thing would have been great because, as everyone said, get spots!

I am mainly wanting to know how to animate the camera around the comp like they do with the different text and backgrounds. I would like to make a comp with many video "hubs" stationed around it and have the camera move around those hubs while the background and textures used in the background repeat. I have seen this done before but I am having a hard time trying to figure it out.

Return to posts index

jeff dobrowRe: Ford F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 5:35:22 pm

There really isnt a magic workflow for this.
You cant just create a bunch of scenes in 3-space and then fly between them
You must pre-plan your moves and scenes.....then animate a rough camera move to go between them.
The subtle polish of the motion, use of mblur to shield bg transitions and...etc...etc.

Specifically regarding the camera it just depends. Not all of it is 3D camera work at all. Moving your scenes around while the cam stays in some instances moving your foreground scenes while your BG stays in place...etc..etc.
There is no specific 'way' to animate the entire spot. It simply requires planning and more planning....

With regard to cam only: Parent cam to 3D null. Add seperate x,y,z animation transform preset to null. Animate the x,y,z transform effect and not the cam.

Return to posts index

Zach RutledgeRe: Ford F-150 TV Spot
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 4:43:04 pm

basically what andrew cramer did... without the plugins.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved