ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering Fail Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt ZeherRendering Fail Issue
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 3:37:22 pm

Running AE 7.01 Pro on Windows XP. 2ghz Core Duo, 2gb of RAM, and plenty of disk space. Yeah, this computer is a little dated, but it's what I have to work with until I get the money to upgrade in a few months. For the most part, she runs like a dream.

I've got a 10 second clip I'm trying to render out of an animation made pretty much completely from scratch, with the exception of an imported .jpg and .psd image. All plugins and effects used are the basic ones, with the exception of Video Copilot's new Reflection plugin. OpenGL is disabled.

Rendering out to uncompressed .avi with no alpha channel. The render gets halfway through before failing, with no error message. I tried manually rendering out the second half and just combine it later in the editor, and it fails immediately on that same frame as the full render would. The frame will playback in the timeline when scrubbing through it, but the RAM Preview is also failing once it gets past that point. I do get an error message with that, and it pops up twice: "After Effects error: RAM Preview needs more than 2 frames for playback".

Any thoughts, or prior experience with this kind of issue?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering Fail Issue
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 5:08:10 pm

I bet it's the footage you're using:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt ZeherRe: Rendering Fail Issue
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 5:34:36 pm

Not using any of that kind of footage. Like I said, most of it made from scratch within AE, with the exception of one JPG image and one Photoshop PSD image.

It fails to render at a seemingly random point too, as it is at a point where I have some text flying across the screen. However, that same text flies across the screen earlier in the composition, and it renders fine then. Likewise, the jpg and psd are on-screen for a while before the failure point. So if it means anything, no new elements are appearing on-screen at the point that it fails, or refuses to RAM Preview.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Rendering Fail Issue
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 6:35:00 pm

Okay, then I'll try the third most common AE error: not enough RAM. You can be one of the first kids on your block to read this brand-new tip on AE & RAM from Adobe's very own Todd Kopriva!

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/969701

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe MoyaRe: Rendering Fail Issue
by on Jan 5, 2010 at 12:06:41 am

What are using for render resolution...

"current settings" or "full", etc.

Monkey around with these setting and see what happens.

If it renders in a the draft mode (i.e., 16bit or 8 bit) then it is probably a buffer overload. You can try an get around this by trying different file compression codecs in combinations with different resolution settins. This process will not be easy or fast...but, it is mostly likely a memory issue that is hitting a wall when the buffer limits are hit. It is not likely a plug-in or effect that is causing the problem since it doesn't happen at the same point during the render.

Another solution would be to remove any color corrections and/or blurs to reduce the memory system demands during the render... then, apply these effects after a first render. Same can be accomplished if you dumb down the bpc to 16 if you are using 32bit color.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:35:13 pm

Thanks Joe, that seems to help. I'm not in a position right now to render it out and test it, but I did open up the project and set the display resolution to half. The RAM Preview started working again, no longer giving me that error message.

I'll respond again when I get a chance to render out the entire project so you all know whether or not it worked.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 18, 2010 at 3:02:47 am

Yeah, so I had to render it out at half resolution. Ah well. Guess I'm not quite setup yet for heavy effects-laden HD projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]