ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Movie size for movie theatre?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
karlos kruzMovie size for movie theatre?
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:52:58 pm

Hey ppl!
does anyone know what composition size should I use for a video that will be played on a widescreen movie theater? It will be played on an external proyector, not in the same one they use for playing movies.

I have tried 720x480 that it´s the "standard", but it remaing on the center of the screen, leaving a lot of white space, and I wan´t it to use the whole screen, so it looks like a real movie.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Movie size for movie theatre?
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:13:01 pm

Find out what they use for a playback device for non-celluloid stuff like this, report back in, and we'll tell you how big to make it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Movie size for movie theatre?
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:46:45 pm

Hopefully they're using something more HD rather than the old SD standards. I agree with Dave, ask the cinema; they should be able to tell you what they're using and, heck, might even know what sizes you can do.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Movie size for movie theatre?
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:53:54 pm

Sometimes an agency acts as intermediary. For our UK spots, Pearl & Dean was the contact -- they gave us the specs. On the audio side, they were very stringent Dolby specs, which have relaxed somewhat since then. On the picture side, SD PAL DigiBeta was the spec, believe it or not. It didn't look as horrible on the big screen as we thought, but we do hope they ask for HD on the next one.

Return to posts index

karlos kruzRe: Movie size for movie theatre?
by on Dec 24, 2009 at 10:44:14 pm

Thx for the answers!
I´m still waiting the answer of the Cinema´s manager about what size we should use.

Thx again ppl and have a wonderful christmas!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved