ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett DeJagerAE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 7:00:10 pm

Hello all!

I'm having a very frustrating time with my CS4, After Effects. I try to use the dynamic link function between my premiere pro and after effects but it always freezes then crashes. When I re-open my AE project it says "missing X amount of files" and my whole project is that rainbow colored logo. After I replace all the footage, it will crash again once I move around the timeline. I'm running windows 7 with only 2GB RAM. What do you think the issue is? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:20:03 pm

[Brett DeJager] "I'm running windows 7 with only 2GB RAM. "

That's your problem right there. You'd be MUCH better of with 16 GB.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brett DeJagerRe: AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:40:28 pm

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I was afraid of. Although it shouldn't be the cause of my dynamic link problems (I wouldn't think). Do most people import the whole premiere pro project into the after effects to do the FX or just particular clips/scenes?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:44:37 pm

Dave's right; you need a lot more RAM. (You didn't mention what kind of processor you're using...but you definitely need more RAM)

Until then, turn caps lock on before you open AE and start linking files. Once everything's linked change your composition to quarter resolution THEN turn caps lock off. That may or may not help you.

HOWEVER, considering your teeny tiny amount of RAM, I would suggest that you NOT dynamically link your Premiere project in AE. Instead, import the Premiere project into AE as a composition. It'll use a lot less RAM and is much less likely to cause issues.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2009 at 8:51:06 pm

Thanks for the advice! My comp runs on a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.41 GHz. RAM sounds like my next required purchase. Also, I'll no longer try to dynamic link it!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:16:38 pm

[Brett DeJager] "My comp runs on a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.41 GHz... I'll no longer try to dynamic link it!"

Good idea. AMD processors, huh? You'll want to take a look at this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/969584

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 21, 2009 at 9:26:26 pm

My processor is good enough to run CS4 although my RAM is embarrassing! Easy fix though.

Return to posts index

Daniel RamirezRe: AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Dec 22, 2009 at 10:34:39 pm

Indeed, 2GB just isn't enough for Dynamic Link.

Dan Ramirez
After Effects
QA Engineer

Return to posts index

alexander nanniRe: AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:28:24 pm

hi um i have cs4 and it keeps crashing like right when i start up it keeps saying somthing about parting then it closes thus i cant use it i need help. thanks

Return to posts index

by on Mar 29, 2011 at 7:33:31 pm

Based on that wealth of facts, here's my best explanation:

AE doesn't like you anymore. What did you do to make it so angry? You need to go apologize to it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

jennie davisRe: AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 9:44:46 am

hi, i've had the same problem, it crashes once i move the timeline. but i'm using illustarter files. i tried the caplock and it worked (so far), i'm using 4 ram. are the vector files so heavy? or is it a diffrent problem then to the trouble the with premier? how can i make the illustrater files lighter so it won't crash?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE keeps crashing + Dynamic Link problems
by on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:24:42 pm

If you've got any high-res raster graphics embedded, they can add make Illustrator files rather unwieldy. You might check to make sure that you've got your RAM settings set up correctly.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]