ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Keying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt WulffKeying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 5:44:13 pm

Since After Effects Does not support The New AVC Intra 100 codec, I will have to use DVCPro Hd. We just purchased the HPX300 and are really impressed with the picture quality. I mean this a true "Network" look. I downloaded the AVC codecs for Premiere Pro and Final Cut. Are there any plans to have this available for After Effects?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:16:41 pm

[Kurt Wulff] "I will have to use DVCPro Hd."

There's nothing wrong with that! It's certainly better than ANY kind of HDV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Kurt Wulff] "I downloaded the AVC codecs for Premiere Pro and Final Cut. Are there any plans to have this available for After Effects?"

By this I presume you mean, "I downloaded the AVC codecs for Quicktime."

I don't think you need them. Unless you're running something primitive like FCP 4, you have the DVDPro HD codec, and I think it's much better than AVC.

We key with DVCPro HD all the time. You would need to get a camera that costs as much as a small house to do better than a camera that records DVCPro HD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shian StormRe: Keying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:37:38 pm

Just a tip, but when using AE on big projects I like to convert all footage to image sequences (DPX, TGA, TIFF) it eliminates any codec issues you may have, as well as simplifies the correction process. By that I mean, if you need to change something, you only have to re-render the frames you changed instead of the entire clip, and the footage is automatically updated.

One caveat using TGA with FCP - FCP only utilizes TIFF and DPX sequences as usable footage, it doesn't (to my knowledge) yet incorporate TGA sequences.

Return to posts index

Padraic CulhamRe: Keying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:51:00 pm

'Small house'? - while I do loves me some hyperbole, Mr. LaRonde, there is the variance of geographic subjectivity. For the price of a small house here in SoCal, one could look into getting their own Panavision film cam. Medium house may get you a large format IMAX cam. But I digress.

I've also had a great deal of success keying with DVCProHD (usual shooting caveats apply - well-lit green screen, minimized spill, etc).

One thing I have come across, though, is in regards to rendering DVCProHD to send back to edit. I've not had much luck rendering out a DVCProHD QT from AE; typically, I get a compression hit that affects the quality of the image, not just the 'effected' areas. I've worked around this by rendering out ProRes422 or animation (if I'm sending it to a Windows based editor). I'll concede that it is possible I'm missing something in the setup process for my renders, and if any of the pros here have any thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 QuadCore; 6GB RAM; FCStudio2; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Keying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 9:44:44 pm

[Padraic Culham] "...For the price of a small house here in SoCal, one could look into getting their own Panavision film cam..."

Imagine what it would be like in Tokyo. But I live in Iowa -- my original statement wasn't far off the mark.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Padraic Culham] "...I've not had much luck rendering out a DVCProHD QT from AE... I've worked around this by rendering out ProRes422 or animation..."

Yup. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, image sequences are probably even better. If I had to render for The Ages, I'd consider using them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Keying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects
by on Dec 21, 2009 at 6:17:55 pm

[Padraic Culham] "... I've not had much luck rendering out a DVCProHD QT from AE ..."

Same here. If the final has to be DVCProHD, I render out of AE to something like Animation then let QT Pro compress it to DVCProHD.

Return to posts index

david aretskyRe: Keying with DVCPro Hd in After Effects
by on Dec 19, 2009 at 2:41:03 am

You can render out the footage from the HPX-300 to DPX or AVI Uncompressed 10 bit and then pull the key from that. It takes up more hard drive room but it works well.

dangerd

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]