ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE color management

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles BoileauAE color management
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:28:32 pm

Quick question. And I know this has been talked about several times on this forum, but I can't get a clear answer to my question.

I rendered a Redcine project in color space: Redspace Gamma space: rec 709. I exported those to QT uncompressed 10 bit 4:2:2.

When they came into after effects I check out the interpret and it said that they had a REC 709 profile. So far so good.

Now do I need to set my project color setting setting to REC 709 also?

Here is my problem: When I set the project setting to REC 709 everything is bright and washed out. Am I essentially re-applying a REC 709 color space over my clips?

Now the best settings I got where to leave the color management at off and turn on match legacy gamma... (I read that this could of been the problem). This is identical to what I had in Redcine.

What about blend colors with 1.0 gamma. What does that do?

Finally, when I open Color Finesse's (2.0) window the footage looks even darker and more saturated.

When I export my final QT (with color correction) will the color profile follow? Even if my color management is turned off?

Sorry for all the questions, this color management thing is becoming very very complicated.
I think I've resolved my problem with these settings, but I just want to make sure I understand.

Thank you

Charles Boileau

Return to posts index

Tanel ViksiRe: AE color management
by on Dec 19, 2009 at 8:51:46 am

Try to say in AF Interpret footage advanced tab, that your incoming footage is Rec709
and do not use project settings or keep it in default sRGB. You have to create new adjustment layer
with Effects/Color Correction/Level and clip black at 13 and white at 253 level in 8bit project
if your footage has to be EBU compliant.

So, AF will do the conversion from Rec709 to sRGB and
you can export from RGB to Quictime yuv from there.

That should give you correct output gamma level.

Return to posts index

Charles BoileauRe: AE color management
by on Dec 20, 2009 at 3:53:35 pm

Do I keep this adjustment layer when I render at the end?

Charles Boileau

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved