ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE exported .FLV w/ Alpha Channel embedded into Flash = CPU Hog

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe RaskAE exported .FLV w/ Alpha Channel embedded into Flash = CPU Hog
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:53:54 am

Posting this in here instead of the Flash forum because it's AE related, and figure more people in this forum will probably have more experience with this issue-

I am implemening some video into an AS3 site, and the structure requires the videos to be embedded into movieClip timelines because of the preloading setup.

One of the videos for example, is a 570x760 exported from After Effects straight to FLV using the VP6 codec + alpha channel of a fast-paced man running, with some feathered edges.

30 FPS website, and 30 FPS Flv.

Runs OK when embedded into a blank FLA (no bg image, no AS code).. but when I put it into the main site it just bogs really bad and plays so choppy.

I disabled any other MC animations while this video plays on the timeline, made sure Video.Smoothing wasn't applied- still not happy with the result.

Can't do a JPG sequence + multiply blend because there is color that will bleed incorrectly into the BG.

I must use the VP6 codec because Sorenson doesn't support Alpha.

Does anyone have any tips?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: AE exported .FLV w/ Alpha Channel embedded into Flash = CPU Hog
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 6:51:49 pm

From Dave LaRonde
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

I would suggest rendering a high quality/lossless AVI or Quicktime out of AE and use the Adobe Media Encoder or something else to encode the FLV.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved