ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Render Failed using magic bullet looks

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian CottingtonRender Failed using magic bullet looks
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:40:40 am

I am currently color grading my short film with adobe after effects cs4. I am using a amd dual core system, 2 gigs of ram, and a brand new ati raedon HD graphics card. I am well aware of how Magic Bullet plugins can take a very long time to render. That being said, it seems that my video constantly fails each and every time that it renders out some of the magic bullet footage.

I have already tried accessing the secret preferences and other suggestions that were posted on here but it still fails. If it helps at all I am rendering the video as a quicktime with animation as the codec. It also seems to conk out at around 59-60% ram.

The footage is NOT HD. It is an SD quicktime.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Render Failed using magic bullet looks
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 2:29:24 pm

the failure around 59-60% ram usage is usually an indicator that the ram cache is not purging automatically.

i know you mentioned that your try setting the secret pref to purge frames at specific intervals... were you still getting a crash after that with the ram hitting 60%. if so, then you'd need to lower the purge frames value to avoid hitting the 60% limit.

fyi, the 60% ram usage is usually the default for the maximum ram cache size in ae. normally, when ae hits that, it just starts purging the oldest frames/data in the cache without any issues. however, sometimes something will prevent ae from purging normally, that's when the secret pref's purge-every-xx-frames setting comes in handy. by setting that frame value to less than the frame value where you were getting the crash, you can usually get trhough a render. the value should be a good 20% or less than where the crash occurred, so if the crash happend at frame 100, try a setting of 80 or so.

other things to try:

disable multiprocessing. this will usually give more ram to the foreground process and can eliminate any issue that an effect may have with ae's multiprocessing.

check the magic bullet effects (i'm not familiar with them) and uncheck any opengl options that they may have. opengl can often cause stability issues.

don't have other software running while rendering. this is primarily to avoid other apps using ram that ae would otherwise use.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Render Failed using magic bullet looks
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 4:16:09 pm

[Brian Cottington] "I am using a amd dual core system, 2 gigs of ram, and a brand new ati raedon HD graphics card."

It could very well be that your machine is giving you fits. Just for the heck of it, I looked up the system requirements for a Windows box. This is straight off the Adobe web site:
  • 1.5GHz or faster processor*
  • Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista)
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 1.3GB of available hard-disk space for installation, plus 2GB of space for optional content; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storage devices)
  • 1,280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • QuickTime 7.4.5 software required to use QuickTime features
  • Broadband Internet connection required for online services†
  • SSE2-enabled processor required for AMD systems

As you can see, your box meets the MINIMUM system requirements. Minimum. Furthermore, since you mentioned AMD processors, you really need to double-check that last item above.

Final thoughts: since you only have 2GB RAM -- which is almost nothing in AE-Land -- you shouldn't even THINK about using multiprocessing. Turn it off and leave it off. Likewise, you should never use Open GL for rendering. The guys at Adobe have given up on using Open GL when rendering, which you should take as the world's best clue as to what YOU should do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Padraic CulhamRe: Render Failed using magic bullet looks
by on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:37:38 pm

One other thing to look into - some Magic Bullet software can get tricky with upgrades; that is, it's not necessarily forward compatible. I came into a similar issue when I downloaded a patch update for MB Colorista; (I think it was 1.0 to 1.1). After installing the patch, my previous projects would fail to open (Magic Bullet error). Granted, you're using a different piece of MB software, but it may be something to double check.

Mac Pro 2x2.8 QuadCore; 6GB RAM; FCStudio2; Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved