ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Character Animation - Puppet Tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon BalchCharacter Animation - Puppet Tool
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 5:18:13 pm

Hi there. I'm animating a character using illustrator/ after effects. I have the character's arm and a hand on two separate layers. With the hand parented to the arm layer. However, when i move the arm with the puppet tool, the hand does not follow. Is there any way to make the hand follow the arm, without having to animate the hand frame by frame, or is that just the way it is? Thanks.

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Character Animation - Puppet Tool
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 5:46:09 pm

There may be a more complex scripting/expressions option, but is there a reason you can't just have the arm and hand as one 'layer'? It seems a hand will never naturally move too independently of an arm so, perhaps just precomp the arm and hand layers. If, for example, the hand needs to wave, there would probably still be some arm movement so perhaps a second instance of the hand layer might do for the rest of the motion that applies to only the hand. It seems the same rationale could also apply to any finger motion there may be.

It's hard for me to put my AE thought process into words so I hope that makes some kind of sense and is helpful.

Return to posts index

Pedro Deltell ColomerRe: Character Animation - Puppet Tool
by on Apr 8, 2014 at 8:36:13 am

See here:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved