ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

rendering a alpha with a blending mode

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gonçalo Perdigao
rendering a alpha with a blending mode
on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:17:01 am

Hi there is there a way to render a blending mode with alpha?
That when i aply the new render in some other footage, the blending mode work as before been rendered?

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: rendering a alpha with a blending mode
on Dec 17, 2009 at 12:12:24 pm

Blending Modes are layer specific and you can render them out as part of a layer but the Blending Mode effect is rendered down with the resulatnt movie.

I hope I understood your question correctly.

RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:17:56 pm

If I understand your question correctly, then Roland answered it. If you're familiar with Photoshop, perhaps this explanation will help. Rendering out your movie is like flattening layers in Photoshop. Everything gets baked together and becomes one thing.

What are you trying to accomplish? Perhaps there's a way to make it work.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gonçalo Perdigao
on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:30:18 pm

yes i understood, thanks a lot!
But is bad not to be able to render a graphic with a blending mode that have an alpha cause in that way when u are working with different people that aren't in the same place as you, you must send the the AE Collect file, or the render already flatten with the graphic.

What method do you use when you are in a situation like this one?

Thanks a lot for all the replies and for the help

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 17, 2009 at 3:43:59 pm

[Gonçalo Perdigao] "What method do you use when you are in a situation like this one?"

I do what you do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 17, 2009 at 3:45:06 pm

[Gonçalo Perdigao] "But is bad not to be able to render a graphic with a blending mode that have an alpha"

The reason you can't bake the blend mode into the graphic is because the blend mode actually changes pixels in the graphic based on the elements below it; if you change those other elements, your graphic must also change, and the "baked" graphic would be incorrect.

[Gonçalo Perdigao] "when u are working with different people that aren't in the same place as you, you must send the the AE Collect file, or the render already flatten with the graphic. What method do you use when you are in a situation like this one?"

Can't you and your team agree to share the graphic with alpha and each of you change the blend mode properly in your own projects?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Greg Hahn
on Dec 17, 2009 at 5:40:03 pm

Are you rendering this out to be used in another program? If you're using Final Cut Pro, there is a solution.

In Final Cut Pro there a few compositing modes (screen, overlay, soft light, etc). Just render out the animation to a quicktime with an alpha channel, bring it into your FCP timeline on the layer above the one you want to key over, then right click on your mouse and select the appropriate compositing mode. Viola!

Greg

Return to posts index

Alex Udell
on Dec 17, 2009 at 9:24:34 pm

There really is no fool proof solution to this that is easy....

while FCP and PPr CS4 and Avid via plug-ins do allow composite modes in the editing timelines...

Many times only portions of a final elements are comp'd with xfer modes...

flattening out via render and then relying on the other programs transfer modes means you'd be locked to using one mode for the whole element, not likely what you want...

Ideally it's separate renders with separate mattes...which can be even more frustrating depending on the complexity of the design of the element in question.

Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]