ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DVD Menu in AE Moving object with Thumbnail Preview or video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark PitcherDVD Menu in AE Moving object with Thumbnail Preview or video
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:30:57 pm

I am making a motion menu by creating a video background in AE. I am using a template background with objects that look like the old photos that developed a few minutes after you take the picture--poloroids?

On my main menu there are two polaroids, one on the other. I want to play a video preview or a video file that I put in the picture field. The first polaroid with the video playing in it starts close to the camera so it envelops the whole view and then falls to the plane of the menu. Then the second falls in more from the side and they both rest there with the videos playing until they fly out to their original positions and the whole thing loops.

I have been able to do all of this except for fit the video into the picture field of the polaroid like object. I want to be able to do it like the thumbnail preview option in Encore. This works in encore to produce this functionality but I want to have the polaroids move(fall in and fly out) which is why I am doing it in after effects. Part of the problem is the polaroid picture fields are not perfectly rectangular so I get it in the right area but a large portion of the video layer pokes out of a corner. Any help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: DVD Menu in AE Moving object with Thumbnail Preview or video
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:48:24 pm

I assume you know AE pretty darned well. After all, this is NOT the AE Basics forum, right, you old, seasoned vet?
  • Make each Polaroid in a 3D Precomp. simply create a white solid at zero in z-space, then scale and crop the video as necessary. For coolness, duplicate the video layer and play with the opacity independently plus the Multiply blend mode on the lower of the two, making it look like it's developing. Duplicate the white solid and move to 0.5 in z-space.
  • Add the precomps to the main comp. You can leave the background 2D, but the precomps need to be 3D with the Collapse Transformations switch on. Now you can animate 'em any way you want, and they'll act like 3D objects.

Pretty easy, huh?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: DVD Menu in AE Moving object with Thumbnail Preview or video
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:58:07 pm

In case you're not a seasoned AE vet perhaps you might want to read about how to make and use masks.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]