ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Living van Gogh painting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel GrangeLiving van Gogh painting
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 3:41:16 am

This is a challenging one... One of my client requested to have a sequence made where the strokes of several famous painting come to life (ie. move around as if the painted water was actually moving, clouds moving around etc. I have to animate paintings from Van Gogh and Monet. What would be the best way to go about this? Any plug-in? Thanks in advance

Joel

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Living van Gogh painting
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 5:26:12 am

There's no plug-in that recreates a famous painting, but in animatable mode.

Your client's going to need a bigger budget.

It's going to require a lot of Photoshop work. Split the painting into different layers that you're going to be animating. Using your favorite cloning methods add to the layers so that you have room for animating. You may end up creating a few whole new layers too. I hope you brushed up on your painting skills. (har!)
It's the same basic principle as the The Kid Stays In The Picture effect. Where you take a photo and split it into elements and animate it in 3d. You need to recreate the background behind the objects that are going to be moving and to the parts that are moving "out from behind" other things.
Then import your Photoshop file into AE as a composition. Animate the layers and, if needed, use some distort tools to add an organic quality to them.

It's going to take a lot of time and effort to make it look good.

As with many things in AE, I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but I will leave it to others to suggest alternate methods.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Pierre JasminRe: Living van Gogh painting
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:00:07 am

Try the demo of Video Gogh :)
http://revisionfx.com/products/video_gogh/

Pierre
RE:Vision Effects

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Living van Gogh painting
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 1:55:36 pm

Oooh, yes. I forgot to ask how accurate to the original painting you actually need to be. The Video Gogh plug-ins are quite fun and, if you just need to look vaguely painterly, they might find this acceptable. You won't have Starry Night or anything, but if you create an underlying precomp that's similar to it with shape and color and apply this effect to the painting precomp, you can get close enough for government work.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Living van Gogh painting
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 4:04:50 pm

For starters, you may want to play around with AE's rarely-used Brush Stroke effect:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d...

The benefit of doing so is that you already have it -- it's been a part of AE since Day One -- and you can judge whether it will do the trick before you invest in additional plugins.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Living van Gogh painting
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 4:24:14 pm

digiEffects has a set of great paint emulation filters. V_E_R_Y long render times on this stuff. You ahve no idea what you're facing for turn-around time.

But such effects are so highly stylized that you cannot even think about doing them at 30fps. Change your footage to a pre-rendered movie at 10 fps are even less, maybe add your motion blur effects and speed ramping effects LONG before you attempt to add paint stroke emulation. You can even severely downgrade the pixel dimensions of the footage since it will be highly stylized.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]