ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Strange issues with 3D layers.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex PritchardStrange issues with 3D layers.
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:59:53 pm

Hello,

Working on a Mac and using CS3. I've been creating an animation. 2D drawings turned into 3D layers so I can use a cam. The problem I am having is when I render the film out I get glitches with some of the layers.

The glitches only last for a frame or so and happen when ever i make a cut from one shot to another. Object will appear after a frame, or change size and on occasion the cam is out of focus.

In the comp I see no such glitches, this only happens when I render the film out.

I am new to AE so it could be something extremely simple.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Strange issues with 3D layers.
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 9:22:51 pm

Turn off Open GL. Leave it off. It does more harm than good, as you are now painfully aware.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex PritchardRe: Strange issues with 3D layers.
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:12:49 pm

Thank you David for your quick reply.

Looked at the Open GL settings and they seemed to already be off. I did change the Accelerated effects using: to Adaptive Resolution.

Also in the Open GL info box It told me that 'No compatible OpenGL video card found'

I rendered again and the same problems seem to occurred. Clipping frames at random points.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2009 at 10:48:47 pm

Glad to hear Open GL is off. RAM-wise, if you don't have at least 2GB/core plus an extra GB for the operating system, It's prudent to turn off multiprocessing, too.

Now the diagnosis gets tougher. You wrote, "The glitches only last for a frame or so and happen when ever i make a cut from one shot to another." I'd double-check the comp for overlapping camera layers.

No Joy? It could be the compression you used:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Alex PritchardRe: Strange issues with 3D layers.
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:08:38 pm

Thanks again Dave,

I do have a 2gb Duel Processor with 1g Ram. It's stretched at times, but seems to be able to do the job. It also seems i have LOTS to learn.

I'm only using a single camera layer, moving it when ever I want a new shot. I'm not sure if this is a bad way to work, but I couldn't see any advantages to using multiple camera angles and didn't have any problems (until now)

I will look into compression. I'm playing out at full resolution using H.264. It looks great but does leave me with a 2g file.

Thanks for giving me such a thorough answer. Wishing you a Merry Christmas all the way from London, England.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 15, 2009 at 11:38:33 pm

[Alex Pritchard] "I do have a 2gb Duel Processor with 1g Ram"

Good grief! That's barely enough RAM for the operating system! I'm not kidding: you desperately need more memory. A practical Christmas gift, perhaps?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Alex Pritchard] "I'm playing out at full resolution using H.264. It looks great but does leave me with a 2g file. "

If the above means that you used AE to render an H.264 file, don't, for reasons stated previously. And if 2GB files seem big, you ain't seen nothin' yet, brother!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Alex Pritchard] "Wishing you a Merry Christmas all the way from London, England."

Likewise from snowy Cedar Rapids, Iowa, just about smack-dab in the center of the USA, where it's currently -16 Celsius. Have a warm and alcohol-laden beverage for me.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Strange issues with 3D layers.
by on Dec 16, 2009 at 1:37:44 am

[Alex Pritchard] "I'm only using a single camera layer, moving it when ever I want a new shot. I'm not sure if this is a bad way to work, but I couldn't see any advantages to using multiple camera angles and didn't have any problems (until now) "

Does everything look ok when you RAM preview?

I'd suspect that this camera treatment is your problem. You might have accidentally created additional keyframes that you don't want. If you're not looking for one seamless camera move, it might be better to split your camera layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]