ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3d perspective and precomposing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd VanSlyck3d perspective and precomposing
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 5:40:12 pm

I'm attempting to create an HD comp in which there are a series of squares "flipping out" or unfolding one after the other. I've created a 200x200 comp with my square rotating from a 90 degree angle (so it is not seen) to 0 degrees, fully flat. The "square" layer is 3d. It looks just how I would like it to.
The problem occurs when I place that 200x200 squares comp into a new 1920x1080 comp. Depending on where it is placed in the comp (lower left for example), it is not just rotating straight up. It's almost as if there's a wide angle camera in the comp causing it to distort. When it's supposed to be at 90 degrees and not visible, I can see it hanging quite a bit down and to the left. I've tried switching the collapse transformation button on and off, creating a camera in the comp but no matter what I do I can't get rid of the weird distortion. I'd like it to just flip up without all the weird stuff going on and it's driving me nuts.
I'm using AE 6.5 by the way

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d perspective and precomposing
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 5:51:53 pm

[Todd VanSlyck] "When it's supposed to be at 90 degrees and not visible, I can see it hanging quite a bit down and to the left. "

Well, that's because it's in 3D space, which is the whole point behind having 3D.

Take a playing card, hold it edge-on right in front of your eyes, then move it down and to the left. What do you see? The card is no longer edge-on. AE's doing the same thing.

Now, you can sidestep this issue by moving these unfolding square layers to the frame where they start animating open.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyckRe: 3d perspective and precomposing
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 5:57:48 pm

Hi Dave
The thing that's confusing me is that whether the HD comp's camera is activated or not activated, I'm getting virtually the same result. The original 200x200 square comp is 3d b/c i'm flipping it in z-space.
I could start them when they're animating open but I've still got this awful, weird fish-eye distortion which I'd like to eliminate if at all possible.

Mac G5 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
OS Version 10.5.5
Final Cut Pro Studio 2
After Effects 6.5
Photoshop CS3
Sony EX-1

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d perspective and precomposing
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:15:51 pm

Now you're talking about an odd duck: you want 3D, but you want it to be an orthographic view... and 3D doesn't work that way.

Your best bet: animate this unfolding square stuff in a 3D precomp. Bring it into the main comp... but keep it as a 2D layer. Now position it where you want it. I've never done this but it ought to work.

If you want to light anything or do any kind of camera animation, you're hosed. You can't get the look you're after.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]