ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

cannot open

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isabella La Roccacannot open
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:15:03 am

i'm trying to open a movie I rendered from After Effects 5.5 in Feb. of 2005 using Animation or None compression. When I try to import it to AE CS4 I get the following message:
AfterEffects error: file "" cannot be imported - this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported.

When I try to open it in QuickTime 7.0 I get the following message:
The document "" could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands. You may need to install additional software to open this type of file.

Thank you,

Return to posts index

Joe StenhouseRe: cannot open
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 5:29:52 am

Not to sounds redundant but the errors that you are recieveing are in fact correct and tell the story.

Will the quicktime movie open ANYWHERE?

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: cannot open
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:14:12 pm

As Joe said, the error messages tell the deal ... the file is corrupt/damaged ... if you're 110% sure it was originally rendered both properly and completely, it probably became corrupted/damaged while transferring from one drive to another or something similar.

The first thing I'd do is double and triple check my QuickTime ... make sure you have the latest version and that it works fine with any other MOVs. You might also try opening the file on different computers ... perhaps with an older version of QuickTime.

Also as Joe suggests, if you can get the file to open anywhere, run with it ... in other words, see if you can get any conversion software to read it and export it to a new file (i.e., Squeeze, ProCoder, Cleaner, MPEG Streamclip, etc.).

This may seem overstating the obvious, but in my opinion, this can never be overstated ... personally, I absolutely never have only one copy of any of my work (including all sources & project files). And, the 3-4 copies I keep are always in different places (i.e., external drives, backups, etc.) ... computers are not infallible.

As an extra safeguard against this kind of thing, its also helpful to always embed project files into your QT movies ... if you did that, try importing it as a project instead of as a MOV. Then, if you still have the source media, it'll probably be much faster to re-render it than trying to get this file to work.

Return to posts index

Josh CrewsRe: cannot open
by on Dec 17, 2011 at 8:33:22 pm

From my experience, it's simply a case of Quicktime missing the proper codec to open the clip.

I got the same error message in AE. I tried to open the problematic .mov files in Quicktime, to see that Quicktime was missing the codec I needed. FYI, you can always do an command i to get info inside of Quicktime to see what the compressor is, then use Google to search and download it.

Simple fix. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Ruben ContrerasRe: cannot open
by on Mar 6, 2015 at 12:30:45 am

I had this issue and spent all afternoon figuring out what the culprit was.
I couldn't preview my videos in quicktime or import them into AE. They played fine in other softwares. All i had to do was download the appropriate codecs from apple and all worked fine afterwards.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved