ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Light Layer + Text question.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Stenhouse
Light Layer + Text question.
on Dec 14, 2009 at 11:04:55 pm

Simple question, and the answer is likewise I am sure but I have no idea.

I created a new light layer on the timeline in AE. There is also a text layer with simple text colored blue. After making the text layer 3d and applying the spot light to the layer the light works fine! It's casting upon the text. I am keyframing the position of the spot light to give it an animation on the text as it casts.

My problem: The blue color of my text changes to black as soon as I make the light layer. Why is the light layer changing the font color to black for default? It seems that no matter what color I use for the font it always goes black. The spot light color however is fine.

Return to posts index

Theo Veltman
Re: Light Layer + Text question.
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:00:37 am

As soon as you add any light in After Effects all your 3D layers will go black unless the light is pointed at them. Just the same as if you were in a room with no windows and only a flashlight. as a simple rule of thumb try adding an ambient light first and reduce its intensity to create the type of atmosphere you want, then add a spot or point light to enhance what you're lighting.

Return to posts index

Joe Stenhouse
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:11:21 am

Thanks, this makes sense. I will try something else for what I need done then.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2009 at 1:07:25 am

Have you also set the the Accepts Lights switch in the layer's Physical Properties?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe Stenhouse
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:09:24 am

I have figured out that if I want to use the light layer to get what I want then I will never be able to have colored text. It will always be black just as if I was in a black room with no flash light. I suppose that makes sense but it is a shame that I can't have my text colored say green and stay green but I guess the effect forces everything black.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:23:05 am

What? No, just add an ambient light to your scene and your text will regain its color. It won't be black...I promise it doesn't have to be black.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joe Stenhouse
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:49:28 am

Thanks man. That worked great.

Duh....again.

Return to posts index

Joe Stenhouse
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:59:09 am

I am still having issues having two light layers in the same comp. It is possible that I have an ambient and a spot light on the same text yes?

Return to posts index

Joe Stenhouse
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:24:02 am

Ok, well just scratch that last post. I did figure out what I needed to do. Take Care.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]