ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Green screen keylight green border

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew ZabelGreen screen keylight green border
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:07:38 pm

I'm using the keylight effect in after effects and all is going pretty well, but I can't get rid of the green border outline that is going around the person. What is the best way to get rid of this? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Green screen keylight green border
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:07:05 pm

Are you trying to use Keylight intuitively, just fiddling around with the settings? If so, good luck: this keyer does NOT work intuitively.

There are a couple of Keylight tutorials here on the COW, and you need to look them up. There may be a different one or two on videocopilot.net.

And going to The Foundry's web site, downloading the Keylight manual and training material, then using them would not hurt one bit, either.

Of course, if your footage is either DV or HDV, you're going to get a lousy key no matter what you do.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew ZabelRe: Green screen keylight green border
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:45:59 pm

Thanks for the links. It was shot in HDV. Why is HDV bad for green screen, and what IS good for doing green screen? I just want to get the best possible look. And it looks good, except for those edges, with either green outline or a lot of noise on those edges. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Green screen keylight green border
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 8:20:56 pm

Short story is DV and HDV toss out tons of color info, so you will often end up with jaggy/noisy keys. Read this for more info.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Green screen keylight green border
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 9:23:37 pm

[Matthew Zabel] "...what IS good for doing green screen?"

We've had good success using a simple Panasonic HVX200 shooting on P2 cards. The video gets encoded with 4-2-2 color resolution, and almost everything -- DV and HDV excluded -- is at 4-2-2.

Okay, there ARE cameras that record at 4-4-4 color resolution, but they cost about as much as a small house. There's a big price jump when going from 4-2-2 to 4-4-4.

RED might be able to make that kind of color resolution jump for less, but then, I don't know beans about RED cameras.

I'll assume you know that the key, so to speak, of any chroma key is good lighting, no matter what you use for a camera, even a Sony CineAlta with a day rental coming in at $1200.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew ZabelRe: Green screen keylight green border
by on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:35:24 pm

Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]