ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Win7-64 Quicktime Prores 422 - how to deal with?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Les Candle
Win7-64 Quicktime Prores 422 - how to deal with?
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:53:10 pm

I've been running AE CS4 and FCP7 on the Mac, and am (hopefully) moving AE CS4 to Win7-64 Pro as I've heard it is much faster and can use all of my RAM.

All of my projects are Prores HQ 422 1920 x 1080 24p.

I understand there are issues with QuickTime on win7-64.

1. Is there a way to edit these files with AE Win7-64?

2. If not, can I run AE as 32 bit, and somehow get Quicktime installed as 32 bit on Win7-64?

3. Other solution?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Win7-64 Quicktime Prores 422 - how to deal with?
on Dec 14, 2009 at 5:37:19 pm

The newest ProRes codecs aren't available for Windows. They're not even available on Macs. They only come with the latest version of Final Cut Suite.

But if you go to the Apple web site, you can find an add-on that should let you READ the files. At least then you can see the footage, and render in a different codec. Here's a link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL2

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Les Candle
on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:11:21 pm

Dave -

1. is that Quicktime read-only add-on going to work on Win7-64?

2. When I output, what's a quality equivalent codec to ProRes HQ 422 that I can also read on a Mac? I except I'll be going back and forth quite a bit.

Thanks, Les

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Dave LaRonde
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:25:52 pm

[Les Candle] "1. is that Quicktime read-only add-on going to work on Win7-64? "

I don't know, I'm a Mac Guy. Why don't you try it?

[Les Candle] "...what's a quality equivalent codec to ProRes HQ 422 that I can also read on a Mac?"

PNG. At best quality it's lossless, AND it supports alpha channels. You'll need to render in FCP, however.

[Les Candle] "...I'll be going back and forth quite a bit. "

Sorry to hear that. You'll probably waste more time going between the two platforms than you would just picking one and sticking with it. As you doubtlessly know, Apple and Microsoft have agreed to disagree when it comes to preferred forms of media, making working between the two platforms a Right Royal Pain in the body part of your choice.

I don't know what you mean by "I've heard it is much faster and can use all of my RAM", because AE on a Mac can use just as much RAM as AE can currently use on a Windows box: a maximum of 4GB per core. And if you're waiting for the future 64-bit version of AE, well, guess what? It'll be 64-bit AE on both Windows AND Mac.

Now, it you just want to get a Windows box just 'cause you want one, that's a different story: knock yourself out, by all means. If you expect seamless file transfer between the two, keep dreaming.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]