ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Display Driver stopped responding

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig CohenDisplay Driver stopped responding
by on Dec 12, 2009 at 6:31:44 pm

While using After effects, it freezes, the screen goes blank for a few seconds then the desktop refreshes. It says
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.
-Display driver ATI Radeon Family stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

It usually freezes when i do something intensive in After Effects, like rotating text in 3d or even something simple like moving a mask.

Comp Specs:
2.4GHz Acer Aspire Quadcore.
HD5770 Sapphre Video Card (With up to date drivers)
4 Gig ram (Some type of high performance ram, not sure the specific brand.)
Windows 7 64bit.

I only thing that isn't high grade is the actual computer. It was a Quad core i got from Future shop and i recently i added the new video card and Ram. Is it possible that the video card and ram are find and its just the motherboard that cant handle after effects?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Display Driver stopped responding
by on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:02:05 pm

Not the motherboard's problem.
It sounds like an issue with the graphics card. Turn off the Open GL preview in AE, see if that helps. I don't know of anyone who uses Open GL in AE; it has too many problems.

Also, see if there's an updated driver for your video card.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jesse ScheirerRe: Display Driver stopped responding
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 2:04:13 pm

wow thats funny. I did what you suggested seeing as how I had the same problem as the original poster and It fixed that display driver problem right up. 9.12 Catalyst drivers are coming out today I will repost with results as far as tests with OpenGL preview enabled and disabled once I update.

Why does the OpenGL kill the graphics driver? Is opengl just that bad?
Sorry for my ignorance by the way ;)

Return to posts index

Jesse ScheirerRe: Display Driver stopped responding
by on Dec 17, 2009 at 1:59:33 pm

I dont think its your hardware. My system which is fairly beefy but has the ATI HD5770 throws the same error under the same conditions. Ati is releasing an update for their drivers today so hopefully that will fix it. Any luck on your end getting this resolved?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved