ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How is this Gillette ad made

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
abdo abouzeidHow is this Gillette ad made
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 8:20:10 am

hey guys, I am trying to do a similar effect on the one on this ad

from second 12 till 18 where the guys face has a layer of wire frame and its lit in a nice subtle blue color. How is the mesh tracking the guy's face when he is moving . And is it done using a 3d program by modeling the face and exporting it as a wire frame, if so then is the color done afterwards in after effects? and how does the wire frame follow the face along, is it done frame by frame or is there an easier way for it to be done all in after effects? Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Keiichi MatsudaRe: How is this Gillette ad made
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:55:04 pm

The wireframe is pretty subtle, so I reckon you could fudge it by drawing something that looks a bit like a wireframe over the face in illustrator or something, then motion tracking the face to get the 'wireframe' to follow the movement. This wont stand up if the face rotates too much, but by playing with transparency and adding scale/position keyframes, you could 'fake' it if its only going to be in the shot for a second or so.
If you want to do it properly, you'll probably need some move-matching software- I know that PFTrack will do something similar to this, but its pricey.
You could make the blue fairly easily with a masked/keyframed adjustment layer. Make keyframes for the start and end frames first, then add more until you get what you want; it wont be every frame.

Merry Christmas!

Return to posts index

Jeppe RasmussenRe: How is this Gillette ad made
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:56:06 pm

First of all: This might well be super fancy 3D, but keeping in mind that the effect only lasts for a couple of seconds and that the perspective change and skin distortion is minimal, it could easily be done in after effects.
You'd have to track a premade grid and colour to the actors face, and then mask out the hand.

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: How is this Gillette ad made
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:27:41 pm

Looks to me like they've done a 3D track of the face, recreated a wire-frame effect in 3D and then comped it together in comp-app X (After Effects, Shake, Nuke, Flame or what ever). I have a hard time seeing you do that effect with out some kind of 3D back-end. You MIGHT be able to do it in Flame since I think it has a more proper 3D engine in it with a 3D track or / or frontal projection. Possibly Nuke could manage this as well, not sure about it's 3D capabilities. Fully doable with something like Buju, Maya and AE if you got the know-how.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Erik LindahlRe: How is this Gillette ad made
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 3:29:06 pm

Looking at the spot again you might be able to do a similar trick simply with AE and Mocha. Depends on the amount of "curved 3D objects" you're working with.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]