ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Output Module error and deleted files!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie MullinsOutput Module error and deleted files!
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:32:02 am

Hi!

I just finished working on over an hour's worth of work when I went to render it for a final time. I got a pop up that said "The Output Module will overwrite the file selected in the project panel. Would you like to continue?" I have no idea what this means. I hit "OK", since I already had a back up version saved and had already exported a .mov of the project. When I go to view it, it's blank! When I close After Effects and open up that file again, the files in the project are all the right time and length, but they are all blank!

What happened??

Now every time I go to render, I get that same Output Module error message.

Help?

Return to posts index

Bartek SkorupaRe: Output Module error and deleted files!
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:02:55 pm

You try to override the file that is used in your project.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Output Module error and deleted files!
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:21:23 pm

[Julie Mullins] "The Output Module will overwrite the file selected in the project panel. Would you like to continue? I have no idea what this means."

It means you're rendering the same file name to the same folder that you've previously rendered and, thus, replacing your previously rendered file. That's sometimes ok to do ... as long as it's intentional and you're aware of exactly what you're doing ... for example, if the render fails, the previously rendered file will no longer be any good since it was in the process of being overwritten.

To avoid that message and situation, you can render to a different file name (i.e., appending each with "v01", "v02", etc.) or render the same file name to a different location ... I'd suggest the first approach. By the way, you should always "render" your work using the render queue, rather than using export movie.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Output Module error and deleted files!
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 2:31:26 pm

I need to add one thing ...

"the file selected in the project panel." that part means you are not only writing over a previously rendered file, but one that has been imported back into your AE project ... it's rarely a good idea to render over a pre-rendered file that is used in the same project ... especially if you're not familiar with the detail of how it all works.

Return to posts index

Patrick CoanRe: Output Module error and deleted files!
by on Feb 19, 2010 at 5:12:09 am

Is there any way to disable this warning? Because I am well aware of the result of writing to a file currently used in a project, it's intentional.

Moderation in all, and all is relative.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]