ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After "Seperate Fields" I only see lower field... HELP!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nat JencksAfter "Seperate Fields" I only see lower field... HELP!
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:30:45 pm

I have some interlaced footage with video hits that I am painting out. I want to de-interlace to footage first because some of the hits are only on one field.

So... I used the "Seperate Fields" in the interpret footage box, using the lower field dominant option (which my footage is)...

However, AFX is only showing me the lower field now. My comp is still the same length, and I only see one field per frame. I would expect either for my comp to double in length, or for the frame counter to step through in increments of 1/2 frame, so I could work independently on each field.

The Manual says "After Effects creates field-separated footage from a single formerly interlaced frame by splitting it into two independent frames." So I where are my two independent frames? I can only see one?

I must be missing something obvious!

Thanks All!

Nat Jencks

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After "Seperate Fields" I only see lower field... HELP!
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:20:11 pm

since fields are recorded at 2x the frame rate (29.97 fps is 59.94 fields per second), to see the other field, set the interpret footage to separate fields (as you've done) then set your comp to double the frame rate.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After "Seperate Fields" I only see lower field... HELP!
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:21:48 pm

To access both fields, double the frame rate of the comp. Then you can find those 1-field hits in the video. I do it all the time on yucky video from the news department. It's a Right Royal Pain. I usually duplicate the layer, move it one frame (which in this case is a field) one way or the other, make it one frame long, and use a feathered mask so that the duplicated layer covers up the hit. It works 9 times out of 10 for me.

When done, nest your comp inside a comp of the proper frame rate and render. Life will be good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Nat JencksRe: After "Seperate Fields" I only see lower field... HELP!
by on Dec 30, 2009 at 8:20:16 pm

Thanks for your help!

When I doubled the frame rate of the comp, for some reason AFX is just displaying either the even or odd fields.

I ended up de-interlacing the footage externally, and just importing as 59.94, doing my work, and then re-interlacing on export.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved