ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Precomp Quicktime audio won't render out in CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint HayesPrecomp Quicktime audio won't render out in CS3
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 4:25:22 pm

I've done my due diligence searching the archives, and I've found some answers that get close, but don't quite address this.

I've got a Quicktime video output from FCP6 that I've imported into AE CS3. To get my intro comp to blend the way I want with the FCP QT pre-comp, I need to render the finished product in AE.

But in the final AE render, the audio in the *intro*--created in AE--plays fine, but the audio in the FCP QT pre-comp doesn't. It plays in the timeline, but not in the final render.

In one person's case, it wasn't rendering the audio because it was on a guide layer created in AE. This isn't from a guide layer; it's straight audio from an FCP QT file.

Thanks in advance. I'm stuck at the finish line with this.

Clint

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Precomp Quicktime audio won't render out in CS3
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:28:03 pm

You DID double-check the footage to esure it contains audio, right? Did you check to make sure the little speaker icon is switched on, which enables audio? And this footage isn't mpeg2 with muxed audio is it? If it is, AE can't find it. You'll need to create another QT with a real-live audio channel. And since you simply refer to it as a quicktime, you probably ought to read this, too:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Clint HayesRe: Precomp Quicktime audio won't render out in CS3
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:44:22 pm

Yes, the FCP6 footage definitely has audio. It plays in FCP and it plays in the AE timeline. When I RAM preview, the audio I've imported directly into AE segues perfectly into the audio in the imported FCP-rendered footage. But when I render it, only the audio layer in AE comes through. Hence my confusion.

The audio in the FCP footage is .m4a and .mp3, and I export from FCP6 using Export>Quicktime Movie, audio and video, current settings. If I need to use something different for the audio, what codec should I use? I've never used anything but current settings.

Thanks,

Clint

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Precomp Quicktime audio won't render out in CS3
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:35:14 pm

[Clint Hayes] "If I need to use something different for the audio, what codec should I use?"

Almost anything other than .m4a or .mp3 ... ideally an uncompressed AIF or WAV.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:46:25 pm

Ah, so just change the audio format of the clips in FCP. Okay. Can't I roundtrip those to Soundtrack Pro to convert them into AIFF? Is that as simple as sending the clips to SP, renaming them with the same file name, and saving them as AIFF's? I did that, but it still has the mp3 and mp4 file extensions, and I don't seen any indication in FCP that anything is different with the clips.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Precomp Quicktime audio won't render out in CS3
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:15:17 pm

Drag the clips into QT Pro. Export Sound to AIFF, 48 kHz, 16 bits, stereo or mono. Make sure AE's set up for the same kind of audio in Preferences.

Since you run both FCP and AE, know this: you shouldn't EVER use anything but AIFFs in either one. It doesn't matter if you've been successful using them in the past. It's bad practice. Standardize on AIFFs at 48kHz. Some HD Easy Presets use 24 bit depth instead of 16 bits, but they work just fine.

Compressed audio in either FCP or AE: a very, VERY bad idea.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2009 at 10:40:02 pm

Thanks much for the tips. In all the tutorials I've taken, I've never come across that particular advice. Very good to know.

In this case the round-tripping to ST Pro worked, but I do have QT Pro; I'll go that route next time.

All the help is much appreciated. The Cow gives good milk.

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Precomp Quicktime audio won't render out in CS3
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:36:19 pm

I'm not a 100% sure I understand the situation, but it sounds like one of tow things is happening ... either your MOV from FCP has its audio in some type of weird codec that AE doesn't fully understand (i.e., muxed audio as part of some type of MPEG video file) or, there is something wrong with how you've set your AE render settings or output module (i.e., an audio checkbox deselected, an audio codec issue, etc.)

It's hard to say without more info (codecs of both input and output, etc.), so sorry for these elementary suggestions if it turns out to be a more complexed issue, but so far, it sounds like one of those things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]