ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

multi-pane camera effect and stutter

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Frankmulti-pane camera effect and stutter
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:39:01 pm

Hey guys,

I have a scene I've created that is an animated illustration. The background, foreground, characters and scene elements are all set up in 3d space. There is some light animation, but for the most part the animation is the camera moving along the scene. The camera shot is a dolly from left to right, with a small amount of z movement at the beginning and end.

For whatever reason, the animation always comes out with some stutter. I've read that this is possibly just an optical effect and that the steady speed of the camera might have a lot to do with it. The thing of it is, that the animation is already timed up and has been approved for the clients taste. I'd like to retain the timing but somehow cut down on the stuttering effect.

I am rendering these uncompressed and then reviewing them in H264 to make sure the playback is realtime.

I also just tried to make a 60 fps render, looked much better in RAM preview but converting it to h264 at 29.97 and the results are pretty much the same.

Motion blur doesnt seem to be the right option, it seems that AE bases its motion blur on the movement of the layer and not on the camera, is that right?

'Frame blend' seems like what I need but that is only for footage with more than one frame. These are mostly stills.

Is there some effect I could apply to blend frames in post?

Would appreciate any ideas you guys might have.

(Also might be able to convince my client to let me show this public if you guys would be willing to take a look at it)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: multi-pane camera effect and stutter
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 5:19:30 pm

It sounds like the camera is primarily moving in a horizontal direction. You may be experiencing judder, where the horizontal motion is at just the right speed to be annoying at your frame rate.

[Michael Frank] " seems that AE bases its motion blur on the movement of the layer and not on the camera, is that right? "

Nope. It's based on the motion in the comp, regardless or what's moving, the camera or the layer.

But first things first -- you DID enable motion blur both on the layer AND at the top of the timeline, right? You need to do that.

If you did, you should know AE uses an imaginary camera shutter to adjust the amount of blur. It defaults to 180 degrees, but you can open it as much as you want -- even 720 degrees, which is impossible in the physical world. You can also adjust the number of samples AE takes to create motion blur. Here, real all about it:

If you can't alter the horizontal speed of your comp, you may have to goose the motion blur, which in turn will slow down rendering in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael FrankRe: multi-pane camera effect and stutter
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:46:32 pm

Thanks Dave.

Yes the camera is moving horizontally from left to right. I guess "judder" is the right term.. It seems to vary depending on where your eyes are focus.

I didn't realize that the motion blur would work, so I have that enabled now and am rendering out another version. Hopefully that will make it a little bit easier to watch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved