ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Light beams question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian CollisterLight beams question
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 10:51:22 pm

Hi all

This should be quite simple, im just having a little trouble.

Imagine shining a torch through a cheese grater in the dark, you would get lots of little light beams, they would move about as you moved the torch etc.

I want a similar effect, but i have a layer with an ornate shape cut from it, using a mask, rather than a cheese grater. I then want to shine a light through from the other side of the said ornate mask and hopefully get some interesting beams of light.

I couldnt get anything to work with the standard lights in AE, (the light beams just didnt show up) so i had a go with a trapcode lux layer, hoping it would help make the beams appear, which they did, but my ornate cheese grater layer then disappeared!

Any help, as ever, is much appreciated.

Cheers all!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Light beams question
by on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:15:35 pm

There's always Trapcode Shine, or an alternative method using the method described here:

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Light beams question
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 12:25:00 am

If you've got Shine, this tutorial from Trapcode will help you. (Or, if you want, you could use the CC plugin that comes with AE, [I forget it's name and I'm not at my AE machine] instead)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Light beams question
by on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:59:07 pm

You might also look up "disco ball" in various AE tutorial sites. it uses only the stock filters but it will not create true, 3D, volumetric light beams. Fro that you must have a more sophisticated filter like Trapcode.

Return to posts index

Ian CollisterRe: Light beams question
by on Dec 10, 2009 at 8:57:29 pm

Cheers all! Much appreciate the help, got where i needed to go in the end.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved